Any thoughts on the leaked Fox memo's?

From: Sammon, Bill Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:23 AM To: 054 -FNSunday; 169 -SPECIAL REPORT; 069 -Politics; 030 -Root (FoxNews.Com); 036 -FOX.WHU; 050 -Senior Producers; 051 -Producers Subject: friendly reminder: let's not slip back into calling it the "public option"
1) Please use the term "government-run health insurance" or, when brevity is a concern, "government option," whenever possible.

2) When it is necessary to use the term "public option" (which is, after all, firmly ensconced in the nation's lexicon), use the qualifier "so-called," as in "the so-called public option."

3) Here's another way to phrase it: "The public option, which is the government-run plan."
4) When newsmakers and sources use the term "public option" in our stories, there's not a lot we can do about it, since quotes are of course sacrosanct.

The Daily Beast's Howard Kurtz spoke to Sammon about the emails. Sammon did not deny sending them, and he also said he was merely trying to use accurate language:

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 7:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 7:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Meh who cares I am sure they send memos at all the news networks on what to call things. I see you have are clocked in for the

• I see my fan club is out in full effect

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I think its just FOX sticking to the FOX message.

Not a surprise or out of the ordinary in anyway.

Answer by UpSheRises at 7:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• oh lovely another anon troll. It's hilarious how they follow you sweet...

Answer by parrishsky at 7:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• LMAO!!! They are so lame. Yet, wait for the deluge of people defending this crap. I swear they do not know what reporting is. They just do what they're told.

Answer by stacymomof2 at 7:58 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Meh who cares
    Really you do not care about accurate information? You are satisfied with pablum? OK then.

Answer by stacymomof2 at 7:59 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• It's very common for a media outlet to establish a standing policy on terminology, especially in the interest of accuracy.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• LOL, another exciting night at Cafe Mom.......
    Fox seemed a little sarcastic,didn't they? The "sacrosanct" commment. I think all the Cable News networks should leak.LOL.Just little tidbits to reveal that they are all windbags,no matter which network.....
    Then I won't have to watch any of them.

Answer by kerp1960 at 8:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• And you don't think NBC, CNN , etc don't send out the same kind of memos on how to "describe" the TEA Party, Sarah Palin, the Bush tax cuts, etc especially since they sit in the administration's back pocket? On top of that, Media Matters is not an unbiased source; they are very biased to the liberal, progressive agenda.

Answer by Journey311 at 8:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2010