How do I eat if im nauseated

I get extremley nauseous, but also have so many hunger cravings. I get soo hungry, but I cant eat it then my stomach starts to growl and hurt soo bad. I drink ginger ale and it helps, but im starting to drink it more than water and I know that isnt good. Any suggestions?? I dont want my baby and I to starve

newmama815

Asked by newmama815 at 11:28 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Food & Drink

• You should try to always keep something in your stomach...an empty tummy=nausea. Try a few jelly beans before you get out of bed and nibble on saltine crackers through out the day...they are very bland and are know to help with the quizziness. take care.

MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 11:32 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Drink peppermint tea. Make sure it's herbal. Chamomile works too.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 11:35 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Rather than ginger ale, which actually has no ginger, try a ginger tea, or ginger candies. That might actually help. And just do lots of bland foods in very small quantities. I'm sorry you aren't feeling well, it'll pass though!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 11:51 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Ah, this is something I can relate to. Do you have morning sickness? Or is it all day? I had hyperemesis with my pregnancies, which means I was nauseated and vomiting 24/7 all nine months. I learned a few tricks along the way.
    First, if it sounds good and stays down, stick with it. Ginger ale, especially if you get a brand like Reeds, which has more ginger in it, is fine, even if you drink it more than water. It will help, and it will keep you hydrated, which is vital. Do *not* let yourself get dehydrated, because it can set off a vicious cycle that is hard to stop without a hospital visit.
    Also, skip the saltines and bread..neither work too well and if you throw up, saltines are like battery acid on the reverse trip.
    Peppermint tea, from real peppermint, can be a godsend. There is also something called Tummy Tea which has peppermint, chamomile, and ginger that works great and it's tasty.
    cont..
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 5:07 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Make sure you keep something in your stomach, even if it's just liquid. Jell-o is another option. Bland, easy to digest foods are best: macaroni and cheese (the boxed kind since real dairy in that quantity can upset your tummy right now), malt-o-meal, apple sauce, bananas, rice, etc.

Also, keep a bag of lemon slices or peels with you when you go out. Just a little snack size ziploc will work. When you start getting that icky feeling, open the bag near your face and take slow, deep, rhythmic breaths. It sounds off, looks more so, but it *works*.

Whatever sounds good, eat it, especially if you've been vomiting. It is easier on your body and your baby if you aren't dry heaving. Also, even if you throw it up, you can get some nutrition from the food in the time it is in your belly...even if it's 5 or 10 minutes.

If you have any ?'s or want to talk, feel free to msg me.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 5:12 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• oh! I forgot to mention...if it is labeled Ginger *beer* instead of ale, it will have more ginger, and less sugar, so it can be more effective.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 5:14 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• The only tip I can think of is to eat very little, but several times a day. And let everything be nutritious, of course. Hope you feel better soon.

McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 8:22 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Drink Boost. It has tons of nutrients in it. My dr told me to drink it when I was pregnant with me twins, because I had no appetite at all. I could hold the food down, I just didn't want to eat in the first place.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 8:55 AM on Nov. 7, 2008