how can i get my 6 yearold child to go to bed without her crying about it every night??

i have 2 kids one of them cry every night when i say good night it is time to use the restroom and go to bed cuz u have school early tomorrow, she startes crying and it is soo hard to make her lay down on her bed. if i tell her it is time to go to bed it takes her one hour just to give up and fall a sleep. i wish to know how to treat her when she gets like that cuz i dont know what to do?

nadin8

Asked by nadin8 at 7:59 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my daugther doing the same thing and she is the same age as yours and all i do i just lay down with her until she is a sleep, and i do that becuse i red on the parneting book that by the time she will kick me out of her room at one day.
    lelly24

Answer by lelly24 at 8:06 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Send her to bed an hour earlier. After all, her crying is delaying bedtime by one full hour. Tell her she can have her old bedtime back once she stops crying at bedtime and starts going to bed like a big girl, but that as long as she continues this behavior at bedtime, she will need to go to bed early.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 8:10 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• You might add a few more books to her routine if you read to her at night, but after your regular routine take her back time after time with no talking. Stay calm and just keep taking her back to the bed.
    You could also sit on the floor of the bedroom and have your back to her. And again put her back in the bed each time she gets up. No talking. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• When I got my nephews they had serious issues with sleep, I read them a story and talked to them for a few minutes before bed, the bedtime routine should be no longer than a half hour. I kept all stimulus to a minimum for a half hour or so before bed. Good luck. Whatever you do, be consistent.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 12:54 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• How about making a bedtime routine of bath, books or story time, maybe a little music, etc. Not just "go to bed".
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:42 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• put your foot down, stop babying her and have her get ready for bed... at 6 she should be able to get ready, in her jammies, brush teeth, go to the bathroom and be in bed by herself... read a quick book and kisses goodnight and that's it... i'm not sure why it would be a fight at 6 years old...
    asil

Answer by asil at 8:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I let mine play quietly in his room until he's tired, but he's not allowed to leave his room. That cuts out the crying. When he's tired the next day, I always point out it's because he didn't go to sleep soon enough.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:44 PM on Dec. 12, 2010