Former smokers: How did you quit?

I am trying so hard to quit smoking, but I can't seem to stop... truth is, I love smoking. I know that I need to quit, for my health and my family's. But I really enjoy it. I can't seem to get through a single day without a cigarette. How did you do it?

Holly.

Asked by Holly. at 8:20 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Health

• I started out by counting my cigarettes daily. I kept pen and paper by my pack of cigarettes and everytime i lit one up, i added it to my count, and when i started doing that, i smoked one less a day than i smoked the day before. Say i smoked 15 yesterday, i smoked 14 today and 13 the next day. I did that til i was comfortable with just quiting. I lived right in front of a small creek. One day i walked outdoors and i threw my cigarettes, ashtray and lighter and all into the creek, and watched it float away & vowed to not smoke again, then i bought me some hard candy to keep in my mouth to eat on. Peppermint candy worked well for that. I did great. It has now been 24 years since i quit smoking.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 8:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I got pregnant!!

My child's health was more important than my addiction!
    NewMommie333

Answer by NewMommie333 at 8:25 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Quitting is not usually the problem. Smokers do that all the time, it is staying quit that is the trick. My experience with quitting was so gawd-awful (cold turkey) that I vowed never to light up again because I would never go through that hell again. I knew that if I ever started again I would have to smoke for the rest of my life before I would go through that and smoking until I killed myself was not an option I wanted to contemplate, so I stayed quite. That was 21 years ago and I have never smoked another cigarette.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 8:54 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Nicotine is highly addictive--just as much as illegal drugs-like heroine ...I wish more articles would stop calling it a "habit"..it's an addiction to "nicotine"..

anyways, try the E-Cigg...Electronic cigarettes..that helped me. They offer high, med, low and even ZERO nicotine, lots of flavors..so you can still puff and feel like you are smoking something, and help you try to weed yourself off. That's why it's also hard to quit..because even tho patches help, ppl often still want something to "smoke"..and quitting too fast (cold turkey) and has backfired because your body has to fight harder to repair itself..sometimes resulting to "cancer"...(of course quitting is good)--but quitting too fast without weening yourself has sometimes been known to be harder on your body.
    psychicRaelene3

Answer by psychicRaelene3 at 10:03 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• hmmm...E-Ciggs huh? I'm going to have to check into those....I'm in the same boat as the OP =(
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 7:04 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Some people argue that E-Ciggs are still "nicotine" so you shouldn't use them..blah, blah...and people wanted to preach to me that they are not "safe"..but many studies (and forums) of ppl who has used them reported more energy, no bad smelling breath, hair, etc..and they still felt they were puffing on something. Do becareful not to get the ones that contain "high nicotine"..I bought one in that range and I did get jittery feelings..lol..but only to find out that the highest levels are only for those who smoked 2 or more packs a day!! LOL.and I never smoked more then a half pack a day...so just be sure to get medium or low nicotine...then you can ween yourself to zero later on. ;)

They have many brands, but some cartridges don't last that long..making you feel like you wasted your money. So the best ones I founds were VaporKings---a man who owns the company/website is named STEVE. You can see reviews on You tube.
    psychicRaelene3

Answer by psychicRaelene3 at 8:19 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Finishing...lol

Another thing to know is that they do contain nicotine--but so does patches, etc....so these are a healthier way to keep smoking if you cannot quit (yet), and you can use them to also ween yourself eventually. They don't have all the other ingrediants that ciggs do that cause cancer. So I trully think they are safer. ;) They do cost a bit of money, but if you buy cartridges that you can refill with E-juice, then you will be a-ok, :)
    psychicRaelene3

Answer by psychicRaelene3 at 8:21 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I only smoked a bit as a teen and I knew it was nasty and not good for me so one day I just stopped. My husband has stopped and started a few times over our marriage. He has been quit for almost a year now. He said he just stopped one day and that was that. I think you just have to really want it, for yourself, and for those that love you and want to see you healthy Good luck.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:10 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Well, I did quit when I got pregnant and when I was nursing, but I started right up again, after I finished BFing. That was easy... but I'm not pregnant, so I don't have that extra motivation. :(
    Holly.

Comment by Holly. (original poster) at 8:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2010