Do your kids help with the decorating of the Christmas tree?

This year, my son (2.5) didn't. He kept throwing the ornaments, so we packed them away and I decorated the tree after he went to bed. I feel bad for not including him, but I didn't want to reward him for throwing tantrums!

Holly.

Asked by Holly. at 8:23 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Holidays

• well i let them decorate their tree themselves since none of the ornaments are breakable (they are 2 1/2 and 5 and 1, but the 1yo wasn't much help lol. she just kept carrying around a bell the whole time which is fine with me!). my 5yo helped me decorate the other tree, and the 2yo helped a little, but he couldn't get the concept of the hooks yet. but i agree with you...if he can't help properly then just do it yourself. and don't feel bad about not including him....that was his choice.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• MY 2.5 year old hung all the bulbs on the bottom of the tree lol
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 8:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• My son does what he can, lol. He is 4 so he helps me get the lights all untangled and then he helps me put the lights up, obviously he can't do it himself. Then he told me where to put the ornaments.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Yes mine do. they are 13, 11, and 6. They have helped decorate every year since they were able to walk. I even have them make ornaments to hang on the tree, and they are so proud of them. But I do agree, if he's throwing ornaments then he wasn't ready to be helping.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• my kids did help a lot this year. it actually went a lot faster!
    there were a lot of unbreakables (all i would let the little ones touch) at the bottom, and then daddy hung the special glass ones, while i safe guarded the ornaments!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• My son is 2 when we first started to decorate i held him and helped him put one ornament on the tree that was all he did he was to busy playing with them and carrying them off so we ended up finishing when he went to bed too- I felt bad too but maybe next year he will understand alittle better.
    SundaeCurls

Answer by SundaeCurls at 11:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• If he is that young, I'd wait. My son is 4 and I gave him his ornaments to put on the tree. Every year he gets an ornament, plus all the ones he got at birth, so those are "his" to decorate with.
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 6:06 AM on Dec. 10, 2010