My child was smacked in the face!!!!

Okay my daughter is 7 and she was smacked in the face yesterday on the bus by a 10 year old boy. Her face and ear was red, and she was crying. I talked to the principal, and he pulled the video on the bus, but told me the video was fuzzy(how convenient) and he could not tell if my child was smacked, but the driver saw it. what should I do? Should I file charges?

ambr2006

Asked by ambr2006 at 8:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sigh....no. Your child didn't need a doctor,did she? The kid should be reprimanded,thats for sure,but getting the cops or a lawyer involved?! That's pushing it.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• if the driver saw it then the principal should not have any reason to hesitate. i would probably demand a meeting between you, the principal and the other kids' mother/father. the tape should not be even an issue since the driver witnessed it.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Bus videos are always fuzzy. No you should file charges. It's a child thing. If the driver seen it that should be enough for disciplinary action. If not then ask the driver to sit your child away from the other one.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 8:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• IF the principal won't do anything then I'd go to the superintendent first. File charges as a last resort if the school won't discipline. Tell them that is your next step!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• i would pursue it.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 8:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• So you're basically telling me that my child was "assaulted" by another kid, and I'm pushing it by involving law enforcement?
    ambr2006

Comment by ambr2006 (original poster) at 8:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Don't start threatening lawsuit right away, or you won't get anywhere with the school.

I'm sorry that happened to your daughter and I'm sure you are really angry and upset - rightly so.

Go see the principal again and insist that the issue be addressed. The boy should be banned from the bus for at least a couple of days.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 8:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• What do you want the cops to do? Put the kid in jail?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Technically it could be considered assault and battery... doctor or not!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Press charges on a child? Really, this is what it's all come down to? What about the fights that kids face every day? Kids hit, bite, scratch, punch, pull hair, trip kids, etc.... It's life. You can't get all over a child.... just keep an eye on the situation. If it pursues, talk to the parents.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2010