Have you noticed the elephant in the room?

For environmental activist Bill McKibben, change needs to happen on a grassroots level. He co-founded 350.org, a global movement to make politicians recognize an issue that, in his words, is one of the most important facing the planet — and yet rarely a top news story. To bring attention to a large-scale issue, the organization encouraged large-scale creative demonstrations, visible from space, many of which can be found on their Flickr site.

The number 350 represents the upper limit of a safe amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. We have presently surpassed that number and, according to the organization's site: "If we can't get below that, scientists say, the damage we're already seeing from global warming will continue and accelerate."

Some amazing aerial photos of demonstrations and art, including a 3000 person elephant:

New Delhi, India: 3,000 students and teachers at the Ryan International School in New Delhi along with volunteers from the Indian Youth Climate Network joined aerial artist Daniel Dancer to form an enormous elephant with rising seas below to ask world leaders to not ignore the “elephant in the room”—climate change. Climate Elephant by Daniel Dancer

Changing the Climate of Protest With Aerial Art

pam19

Asked by pam19 at 8:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's funny how all the right wingers who love to watch, try to deny something that the majority of all scientists believe. They need to stop reading their right wing blogs, and stop watching Fox news. There are people who have a vested interest in trying to make you believe this is a myth. The sad thing is that you fall for it. Of course you can provide a million links trying to dispute this. I think I will stick with the actual scientist, then listen to Fox News. And OP the picture is pretty cool.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 10:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• imo global warming is total hogwash. if there were not periods of warming throughout the earth's history then we would have never come out of the ice age. it's totally nonsense as far as i'm concerned. it's fine to want to take better care of the earth, i'm a very environmentally conscious person, but the motivation should be taking care of our home, not global warming!

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• If we say it they will believe it, going crazyand we can make them pay HUGE amounts for electricity… devil

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Oops, carbon credits… If this admin or Al Gore were the least bit worried about climate change, why do they continue to fly ALL OVER THE PLACE, EVERY CHANCE THEY GET, are any of them conserving? NO!

I really, sincerely, hope that you are right kerpielu, I really do!!! Because that would mean that I am wrong and I do so, want to be wrong!!! Call me crazy, I don't want our country to become communist controlled. For gosh sakes, our gvt is in negotiations to sell uranium mines in Wyoming, to RUSSIA!!!

BUT, if I am wrong, I will be more than happy to say that I misunderstood and all of the economical decisions this admin has made were just what we needed but thus far it looks the opposite to me… How about you? What if it is you who is wrong and I am right?

Oh well, It won't matter what you have to say if I AM, because we won't be allowed to say anything anymore, unless it's what they want us to say.
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 9:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I find it hard to understand that the global warming deniers persisit when the evidence is so obvious, it is happening and it is happening now, melting of the arctic tundra , ice sheets and glaciers, rising sea levels and the highest global temperatures these past ten years since records began . All the eminent scientific bodies endorse the necessity to tackle climate change . The only disagreements are over the timing, for example, when will the arctic be free of ice in the summer, how much methane will be released as the tundra melts and what this will do to the rate at which temperatures increase.

it is pointless to deny global warming because you don't like the carbon credits scheme ( neither do I ) or Al Gore. For decades, the environment has been treated as a free good, it cannot continue The price is not high at the moment but it will be for our children and grandchildren. Very high
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 10:15 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• More fear mongering
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• pam I am not going to bother posting links that show all the corruption in the GW scam you can go back through the millions of posts and find them or keep believing the BS.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Not fear mongering. You can only be fearful if you are not informed. I think the global warming eco uts have been slashed about in half. The debacle of the past couple of years has left many with a sour taste for the bull being spewed.
    Cute elephant though
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:57 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

Apparanetly she's lazy with her only opinion is it's "fear mongering" Sorry but that's a load of BS right there... 90% of scientists agree its happening, to deny it means you are being brainwashed by the right. It's almost ridiculous to hear your arguments.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Not surprising that those most likely to not believe in the FACT of global warming are also the most likely to believe Obama was born in Kenya. Heck they are trying to ruin the country based on bs they read in right wing blogs so why not try to ruin the Earth?
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 9:25 AM on Dec. 10, 2010