why do some women feel they are in competition with their MIL's?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 8:48 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• i have no mother in law and even if i did i would not think this
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:49 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Natural defense to the MIL who is in competition with them.... I know I feel like I'm always in competition with my MIL only because she insists on trying to control things she has no business even knowing. Since I put my foot down though she's been much better so we've been good... :)
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• idk but apparently it causes a lot of drama within the family
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 8:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I love my mom-in-law :)
    MrsG423

Answer by MrsG423 at 8:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I think it depends on the MIL. My MIL and I are like best friends and she often refers to me as "the daughter she never had" but I was in a serious relationship before my DH and his mother felt like the was the only woman in her son's life. She tried so hard to put herself above me and I often felt like I was competing for his attention.
    Parkers_Mommy8

Answer by Parkers_Mommy8 at 8:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• probably because their husband is always comparing the two.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Because some women are especially when their husbands are mama's boys. I never felt that I was competing per say but there were moments when I felt insignificant when she was around. When I was about 6 month pregnant we were at her apartment having dinner,  while we waited for dinner we were watching tv. My husband was standing next to me and I was sitting in a chair(with no arms) leaning against him. All of a sudden without warning he walks over to his mom and gives her a hug. I did not have a problem with that however a warning would have been nice since I toppled out of the chair. I was never jealous of her but I hated how i was treated by him at times when she was around.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I don't, but if I did it would be boring, there would be no competition;) Really? People compete with their MILs. Lame.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 9:29 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• actually I think it is the other way around. Some mothers don't know how to let go of their baby boys even when that baby boy is a man. Some mil's try everythin in their power to ruin a relationship. Guess you haven't gotten the memo.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 9:53 PM on Dec. 9, 2010