I don't have chicken broth....

and I was planning on this certain recipe for soup that asks for a can of chicken broth. I have chicken though.... frozen chicken breats ands thigh. can I get broth from those fairly easily and quickly? or can I just use water?

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You could use water or white wine. Do you have bouillon cubes?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• You can boil the chicken thighs with some veggies like celery and carrots and you have broth.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 9:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• It depends on the recipe you may be able to just use water, does the recipe have chicken or other meat in it?? and what seasonings are in it?

You can make broth using frozen chicken breasts or thighs, celery, carrots, onions and seasonings, but it will take a little while, at least an hour, and I'd say longer personally.

What kind of soup are you making?
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• i only have beef bouillon cubes. The recipe does call for white wine as well.
    Precious333

Comment by Precious333 (original poster) at 9:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I'm making white bean and collard green soup. There is no chicken in the recipes, but I was going to add it in. It also calls for white wine
    Precious333

Comment by Precious333 (original poster) at 9:03 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• You could actually use the beef bouillon cubes, but for a bean soup, you can go ahead and just use water, I'd add some garlic, and thyme or even poultry seasoning too it. It may not have quite as much flavor as it normally would, but it should still be good. (Oh, maybe add a bay leaf)
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:05 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• you muist be an expert cook! lol the recipe calls for thyme and garlic!
    Precious333

Comment by Precious333 (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Food writer, and former newspaper food section chef for the photos!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:15 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• awesome!! you are wonderful!!!
    Precious333

Comment by Precious333 (original poster) at 9:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• you can use water depending on the recipe you can also use bouillon cubes. I personally have a chicken seasoning that I mix with water and a small amount of butter that substitutes broth well
    thelovelymzbre

Answer by thelovelymzbre at 9:48 PM on Dec. 9, 2010