A Question about Prop 8 - and the new lawsuit against it

Okay, so now there's another lawsuit against proposition 8, saying it's unconstitutional?

Why didn't they say that before the election?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I hope they win the law suit! It is unconstitutional!
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 11:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Why didn't they say that before the election?

Because they really thought they had this one in the bag...and now there are unhappy and will whine until they get their way!
    Anonymous

• Because they really thought they had this one in the bag...and now there are unhappy and will whine until they get their way!

Similar to the christian right and abortion.
    Anonymous

• I'm sure plenty of people DID say it was unconstitutional before the election, but all you need to do to get a proposition on the ballot is to get the right number of signatures and file the right paperwork. Once it is on the ballot it goes o the election, no mater how good or bad it is. It happens a lot that a proposition is passed but is unconstitutional. Like the one a while back that tried to keep the children of illegal immigrants out of public schools. It passed, but it was unconstitutional (what a short sighted mess that would have been!!)
    50 years ago the majority of people in (pick a southern state of your choice) would have voted for and passed laws saying it was okay make black people sit at the back of the bus and always give their seats up to whites. The majority would have voted for it, but that doesn't make it okay or constitutional.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:53 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

the court had already declared prop 22 unconstitutional, so the 'phobes just put forth yet another discriminatory proposition.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:01 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• The court took 8 years to declare it unconstitutional. They didn't even discuss it until the end of last year, finding a ruling on it in May. I don't find it fair, but at the same time it wasn't fair that 4 men decided to undo something that 61% of the ten million citizens of California wanted 8 years ago either.
    RainShadow

Answer by RainShadow at 12:06 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• someone stop me....I shouldn't say it.....but...I told you so!!
    There are going to be law suits.
    Good for our same sex loved ones and friends!!!
    There are alread 3 suits filed
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:07 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• If prop 8 wouldn't have passed then the homophobes would have cried again! Blah! trying to talk to these ppl who can't possibly understand that letting citizens enjoy the right to marry is getting to me. My lord, you all act like we are trying to legalize rape or terrorism!!!! It's marriage for the love of God!!!!!! Marriage!
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:19 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Very nice, maggiemom2000. THAT is how you answer a question!
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:28 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• something that 61% of the ten million citizens of California wanted 8 years ago either.

and this time it was 52 percent. so in two years, can we finally stop discriminating?

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:30 AM on Nov. 7, 2008