Age of sexual consent??

I have a friend (25) who is with somone thats 17 (will be 18 in March)... even tho he is consenting and they want to be together, is it illegal???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• Because they are more than 5 years apart, yes it is still illegal.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• It depends on the state. Some states it's just illegal, some the age of consent is 16, some if the person is under age and there is no more than a 4 year age different, it's okay.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• thanks.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• it's a state law, call the local police
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:08 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Here its illegal if one is under 17 and the other is over 21
    Anonymous

• Depends on the state.... in NJ if they are more than 4 years age difference than it is illegal... if they are within 4 years of age than 16 is the age of consent.... so to answer your question in NJ that would be a no-no. and I have experience with it cause when I was 17 I had a boyfriend that was 24 and my mom had everything lined up to have him arrested but I left him instead.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:09 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• In most of the western states it is illegal. And IMO it's not right for a 25 yr old to even be considering getting with a 16 yr old. He's still in high school (more than likely) and she's old enough to be out of college.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 9:10 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• One more thought. If they are "in love" and it's meant to be then in a year and a half it will still happen. They don't have to break the law to be together.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 9:12 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• 2 years is actually the legal age diff. Its ok legally for a 16 and and 18 yo to be together. ITs also ok for a 17 and 19 yo to be together. If parents want to press charges they can. but a two year age diff is whats actually legal
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Im from NJ and 2 years is the legal age gap
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:15 PM on Dec. 9, 2010