My son is 5 mos old and he is 18 pounds...lately he has been having some very short feedings. Anyone else experience anything like this? hes gaining weight fine and im just curious if he is getting enough with such short feedings.

shadowmommy

Asked by shadowmommy at 9:18 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if it's breast it's hard to determine what he actually getting in his feeding
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Sometimes they kind of plateau with their feedings. It's okay, as he starts to grow again, he'll eat more.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:20 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• this happened once with my twins. what was happening was i was actually feeding them too often so they never had just a few long feedings, it was just too many short ones. i started writing down their feedings on a little white board on my fridge and they went back to normal.
    if you think this could be whats happening with your baby, i suggest writing the feedings down and maybe that will help! at least, if you try it and its NOT what is going on, then you can rule that one out right away

good luck!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 9:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• At his weight I wouldn't worry. My boys are grown now, but I found that over the years they would eat a lot at times, and then not at other times. Usually they would eat a lot gain weight....even sometimes get a little pudgy, then have a growth spurt. I would only worry if his weight wasn't healthy.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• im breastfeeding every 3 to 3 1/2 hours and havent started solids completely yet? he looks great, but i did think it might be because he just wants to look around at EVERYTHING! its like he eats just enough to feel good and then wants to play....
    shadowmommy

Comment by shadowmommy (original poster) at 9:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• As babies get older they learn to be more productive feeders... the feeding time won't take as long but they are still getting all they need. Just make sure you are getting enough wet diapers and he is not losing weight.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 9:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Starting around 4 or 5 months my DD became very easily distracted while nursing. She eventually grew out of it. he may have also just become more efficient.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• its normal especially with breastfeeding. 18 lbs is great for 5 months.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 9:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• As long as you are still changing enough diapers and the solids are not replacing nursing, everything is fine. Solids should alwayd be given immediately after nursing so he gets enough milk and doesn't just fill up on the solids. Babies get better at getting the milk faster. The only thing that tells you if he is getting enough is the diaper count.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 10:30 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• If you are getting 6+ diapers a day then you are fine.

He is probably just really good at draining the boob now. There is more other cool stuff to do than eat so they hurry it up.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:32 PM on Dec. 9, 2010