What to do?

Son is graduating college this weekend. His school is 350 miles from our house, they are predicting 12 inches of snow with blizzard conditions, DH is working out of state (he isn't able to come). I feel bad for son since if we get his storm I won't be able to drive up to see him graduate.

tony1638

Asked by tony1638 at 9:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• in the north of MI i doubt many fams will make it with those conditions. just throw him a graduation party this spring to make up for it. he shoudl understand!... you cant control everything and if you honestly cannot get there (i live in NE ohio i understand sometimes it isnt always possible) then you shouldnt worry about it - it is out of your control!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Drive anyway. They plow the roads. Get snow tires. There is no excuse for not going. Go a day early. Just get there.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Can you leave early and take extra clothes and stuff just in case there is a blizzard? Maybe the weather man is wrong and it doesn't come...it happens. Their prediction is sometimes wrong. It would be a shame to miss something so important! If you can't I'm sure he will understand.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 11:40 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Oh man...that is a bummer. Can a train get you up there? Otherwise, send something, call, have him take pics, skype? IDK but I'm sorry.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• No, no trains, not even a flight at this late moment. In the UP of Michigan. That is why traveling would be so bad, there is no easy way to get there and at times you have no cell connection. Roads are bad up there even when it isn't snowing.
    tony1638

Comment by tony1638 (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Could you leave early to get ahead of the weather? In the end if it is too dangerous, I am sure your son would rather have you alive than risk your life to be at his graduation.
    NHGal

Answer by NHGal at 9:49 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Leave early.

I would do WHATEVER it took to see him graduate...what an accomplishment!
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 10:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2010