How do I get Grandma to stop pushing potty training?

Hi, 1st time asking a question. I have a 12 month old daughter. She's always reached her physical milestones early, rolling over, crawling, walking, etc. Lately my mom has been making comments about how next summer we (as in the whole family) will be potty training dd. Next summer dd will only be 20 months old at the latest. I want to wait to potty train until dd is ready. I was a "late" potty trained child and maybe that's why my mom is pushing? What's a tactful way to state that we will be waiting until dd is ready? Has anybody else dealt with people already talking about potty training with a 12 month old?

Some background: Really close Italian family with everybody in everybody elses business. My mom has always respected our parenting ideas before. And she gets her feelings hurt super easily.

CbooklovinMama

Asked by CbooklovinMama at 9:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We did not start talking about it that early. I will tell you this, if she shows signs of being ready at 20 months then I would jump on that. kids usually start showing signs around 2 years old and if you don't jump on that and start then it might be hard to get her trained. With that said she is your child and you have to do what is best for her. I would say something like "We are going to wait for her to be interested in potty training before we start."

My middle child was trained at 18 months so kids can start that early, You just need to be honest and use facts with them.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I see no problem with starting at 20 months.

You know,back in the old days- lol- kids were trained by 2.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I know how hard it is to deal with a big Italian family! Remind them that YOU are her mom, and YOU will be the final word on when potty training happens.
    That said, we used the 3 day method, which recommends training around 22 months. It worked really well for us. If you're interested in the e-book, I can send it to you.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:13 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Just tell them to butt out.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:38 PM on Dec. 10, 2010