Recovery after c-section?

I had a c-section almost 2 weeks ago. My Dr. told me I am free to drive and do whatever I want to as long as I just pay attention to my body and know my own limits. Everyone else around me is telling me different...I shouldn't drive for a month, I shouldn't vacuum or do house cleaning stuff, shouldn't pick up my other kids (both around 30lbs)...ect. I feel fine! I don't have anymore pain and my scar is healing up fine and staples were removed this past Monday. Who is right? What did your Dr. tell you after you had a c-section (if you had one)?

kristinashley24

Asked by kristinashley24 at 9:48 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was driving/cleaning/picking up my kids a couple weeks after my c-section. You know your body's limits. Everyone heals differently.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:59 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I had to drive 1 week after. I felt fine. If you feel fine do it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Actually, I'd be careful. I felt fine after my 2nd c-section. I couldn't believe how good I felt. My doctor told me not to do housework for about 6 weeks, I didn't listen because I thought I knew my body and felt great. I started doing housework and driving, after a little over a week, and the skin incision ruptured. They wouldn't close it back up, it had to close on it's own. I had to pack it with gauze daily, and go to the Dr.'s every 3-4 days, and I wasn't allowed to drive for 6 months!!

Just because we feel good doesn't always mean we should do everything we normally would a c-section is major surgery, and major trauma on your body. Sometimes people get away with it, but believe me, it's no fun when you don't!!! Be cautious.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:10 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• everybody else is right even though u feel no pain and everything seems ok u may not tottaly be healed i know cause my doctor told me i had to wait up to 6 weeks to be healed..u could probably drive in about 2 weeks but i would at least wait 3 to be honest any little jar of the body can still rip ur insides ...
    kimmy77

Answer by kimmy77 at 10:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• You should be fine to drive, do light cleaning etc! I probably wouldnt pick up the kids yet until you are fully healed..... But, I was up and around doing things after a few days.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 11:08 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I was told to wait 4-6 weeks before driving with each of mine but otherwise just to take it easy. I had no choice but to do housework and lift my kids. Who else was going to get my toddlers in and out of their cribs/high chairs while my husband was at work? (I had 3 kids under 3 at one time and all were c-sections).
    With my last one (my 5th) I felt fine after the 2nd week and was packing and helping carry boxes for our cross-country move.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:11 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I didn't have a c-section but my sil did and her Dr. told her 2 weeks before she could do any of that but she had trouble when she started driving and things. I had a vaginal birth and was moving dressers and everything in less than a week b/c I was feeling great but I kept passing huge clots and almost hemorrhaged. Take it easy and take the advice of your family and friends.
    Candie2008

Answer by Candie2008 at 11:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I would listen to your doctor. She's got the right advice. Listen to your body, and if something hurts, STOP IMMEDIATELY. I was able to resume my 4 mile walks about 2 weeks after my c-section. I felt fine. I stopped anything that hurt.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:09 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• ok the crazy thing is the day after I answered your question I went into labor and had to have an emergency c-section. My Dr. said not to drive for 2 weeks and not to lift anything heavier then the baby or 10lbs for 6 weeks.
    Candie2008

Answer by Candie2008 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2010