How to encourage walking?

my hubby wants me to ask this question: my dd is 10months old and she loves to walk pushing her little lawn mower thing, and she walks holding on to all the furniture, but if u hold her hands and try to get her to walk she just lifts her legs up and wants down! so he would like to know how to encourage her to walk! i on the other hand can wait until she is ready, she is already fast enough crawling lol!

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 9:49 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ah, she sounds like my DD at that age. My DD loved to push the walking toys but she had no interest in walking holding our fingers like you always see kids that age doing. Nope, if she wasn't doing it herself we might as well have been carrying her. If she was moving she wanted to be doing it on her own. The good news is that she walked two weeks before her first birthday and learned in about two days how to do it- she waited until it wasn't going to slow her down to walk rather than push something, and then she took off. And never looked back- lol. Tell your hubby he's got a spirited girl on his hands who can't be slowed down long enough to "practice" walking when she's going places all on her own. If she's walking behind the toys she clearly has the motions down so there's nothing to worry about, she probably just wants to figure it out all on her own. She might end up being your "No, I do it" child. :)
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 10:49 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• She'll do it when she's ready. Don't push her.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:01 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• she will walk when she is ready. It won't be long! Often at first she will crawl faster than she will walk..LOL My youngest walked earl at 8mos but would crawl when she needed to get somewhere faster because she was so fast. I wasn't in a rush because she is baby 3 but she did everthing so FAST!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 9:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Yeah, she'll walk when she's ready. And once they start......they're into everything!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:59 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Why the rush?
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Maybe play with a soft "fake" soccerball..something that might make her want to "run after it"..even tho I know she cannot "run" yet.;)

But that worked..we would play a game, and have cookies to see if she can walk fast enough to get one. :)

Also.if you have a pet, you can walk it around the house with a leash..she might try to mimick you ..so buy her a "Furreal Pet" stuffed animal, and buy a collar leash for her "toy" and she might want to "pretend" she is walking her pet :)
    psychicRaelene3

Answer by psychicRaelene3 at 9:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Don't push her too much. She's doing everything she's supposed to do. If you push her, she'll likely regress. Let her do things at her own place. Don't be surprised if after her first step, it takes her awhile to start walking regularly. For awhile, crawling is still more efficient than walking. She will get there in her own time.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:05 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• SHe will when she is ready, why does he want to rush her?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:15 PM on Dec. 10, 2010