ok now im freaked out!....

i have ges diabetes but the doctors think i might of had it before i got pregnant cuz they found it at 6 weeks since i had it with my last son.....well i just checkd my blood sugar with him...this time im on insulin and i just read that babys born to insluin dependent mothers have a harder time controlling there temps and blood sugar and that it can go down way to low and they could have a seziure and stuff.....i am freaked out now and now want to switch doctors so that i can deliver at a hosp with a level 3 nicu and be with my baby if anything goes wrong......oh and also it says baby could be too big and get stuck im just freaked out....this will be my 3rd kid and this pregnacny has scared the heck outta me please any advise?

mama2my2boys

Asked by mama2my2boys at 9:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was diagnosed with type 2 in 2006. My first two kids were born in 1998 and 2002 and during those pregnancies they didn't know I was diabetic. By the time I got pg again in 2009, all I heard pretty much was that I had no business being pregnant and yes, I freaked out thinking my baby would be harmed. Nothing could be further from the truth - he is a perfectly normal, beautiful 13 month old. It was hard...I had to do insulin shots twice a day (before dinner and bed) and take oral meds and really watch everything I ate, but it was worth it. And he was 8 lb. 12 oz., same weight as my older son and not overly huge and never had to spend a minute in the NICU or have any specialized treatment. They tested his blood before each feeding for the first 24 hours but he was completely normal.

I wish you the best, and feel free to message me if you want to talk - I know it sucks and you need support.

Kathy
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 3:27 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• If you control your sugars well then there is no reason to worry. Some babies born to mothers with poorly controlled diabetes do have problems, but they are rarely serious enough to warrent a level 3 NICU.

If you stay upright to push (don't lie on your back in the dead cockroach position unless you have major shoulder dystocia) then your baby is unlikely to get stuck. Talk to your doctor about pushing in a standing, squatting or knealing position. Unless baby is estimated at 11 pounds or more there is no reason to induce early or schedule a C-section, because babies are surprisingly able to navigate the pelvis. Shoulder distocia is also greatly reduced with upright positions, especially runner's position (think of olympic runners getting ready for a race). If that doesn't work there are other positions to try and your doctor should know them.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• My friend got ges diabetes. She still has it know, but her son does not. He is 9.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• i dont want to have a c section or have my baby get stuck or have trouble keeping its temp or its blood sugar going to low that scares the heck outta me
    mama2my2boys

Comment by mama2my2boys (original poster) at 10:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I had it with my first baby (5 yrs ago) and had to give myself insulin shots for the last 4 or 5 weeks before he was born and he was just fine. He didn't have any of those problems. Good luck!
    JenMarie2007

Answer by JenMarie2007 at 10:11 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I also have ges Diabetes and am on insulin. I'm 36 weeks and have been on it since the end of sept. (so since like 26 weeks). It has been very well controlled and I haven't had any increase in dose in over a month (there was a little adjusting the first week or two but nothing since). My number are now perfect and sometime even a little low. I just got a growth scan two days ago and baby is growing perfectly. He's measuring around 5 lbs 10 oz which is right where he should be. My doc calls me the "boring diabetes patient" so he doesn't seem concerned at all about me or baby and he is fully supporting my VBAC in about a month. I'm just letting you know that if you control it well you may have nothing to worry about at all.
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 10:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• i have been a diabetic for 17 years and insulin dependent with and without pregnancy and a piece of advice that will help u now before baby comes cause i have been off insulin now for 9 months after being on it this whole time 1st do not drink any more sodas or teas only water and milk and juice are ok just not alot and 2nd cut out all red meats they have alot of sugars and steroids in them . My kids were born with health issues but it wasnt cause of the insulin it was uncontrolled diabetes and wrong doctors...so just do what i suggest and ur baby will be ok
    kimmy77

Answer by kimmy77 at 10:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• thank you all its just going to be a hard road
    mama2my2boys

Comment by mama2my2boys (original poster) at 11:15 PM on Dec. 9, 2010