Do you think it would be "wrong" of me to buy a few Christmas gifts on my FS card? Give me your honest opinions!

And yes, I am posting this question ANONYMOUSLY because I know how nasty some people can get when it comes to this subject!

Anyway, DH and I are going Christmas shopping tomorrow (pay day)... I am mostly worried about the kids -- I don't care if he gets me anything & I probably won't get him much this year either 'cause things are kinda tight-- but I just realized today that you can get those little meat and cheese gift sets and gift-type boxes of chocolates and tins of cookies and stuff like that ... on FS.

So I was thinking that is what I might do for my mom and dad and DH's parents and a few of our other close family members. What do you guys think? Would YOU do it? Or do you think I am a horrible person for even considering it? lol

Just to give you a little more info ... I am 23, he is 28 ...We have 4 kids under 6 ... we live on our own (not with family or anything like that) ... we pay our own bills... and we do not get cash assistance or anything like that ... just FS. I work 40+ hours a week and DH is a full-time (straight-A) college student, majoring in Digital Media and he gets student loans (and he will be graduating this Spring... then hopefully we won't even need FS). * I just wanted to make it clear that we do work hard and we are not being "lazy" and just "living off of the government"... we are really trying to get to the point where we don't need ANY help! *

We are currently getting $950.00 a month in FS... so it's not like we would run short if I use a little of it on gifts for family. We always have extra at the end of the month.... so we definitely won't starve if I use like $50 of it on Xmas gifts.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Holidays

• Yes, it is wrong. Enough said.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Do what you want with it! 950 bucks a month on FS, did I read that right? I need some FS!
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 10:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• as long as you have enough to keep food in the kids belly's yeah. Do it. damn I want a cheese and meat box....mmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 10:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Jeez!! how do you manage that? I'm disabled, only get $674 a month, a single mom of 3 and I get only $330 a month in FS. I say go for it. I have when I was working and received more FS than absolutely necessary.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 10:10 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Crap! $950~ I cant even get one cent in FS. And my husband makes about 1800 a month. YOu'd think...anyway...sheeeet...I need to move to you state so we can eat.
    Anonymous

• No its not wrong. You get it either way. Wish I got that much but i get a little under 200 a month and have to make that stretch like no other. Do what you want.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 10:11 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Darn I need to live in the state you live in with that much food stamps. I only get $100 for the 3 of us. I say as long as your children don't have to go without food in their tummies by the end of the month then go for it.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 10:13 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Legally, yes it is wrong. By doing this, you could risk losing your food stamp eligibility. The food stamps are meant to feed your family. If you are getting $950 a month and you can afford to buy gifts with your food stamps, then you are getting too much. I am sure your family is aware of your financial situation and would be more than understanding if you didn't get them anything for Christmas.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:13 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• if its not going to take away from your kids then i think just this once it would be ok. people out there use there food stamps for alot worse things.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 10:16 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Jeremys mom they could never find out she bought chocolate for someone else and not herself. They let you get candy and junk that is the states fault and not the recipient. There are no laws that exist because my case worker had said that I could always donate if I cant use it all this was before my amount was cut because I got an increase in hours at work. The same for the woman at wic when I said I don't need all of this because some of the foods i hated. Gosh some people are gullable.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 10:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2010