Do you feel the gov't is not giving you enough money in food stamps or assistance to support your family?

I see a lot of replies on this board stating how much they ONLY get. Is the gov't being cheap and not giving enough?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Nope, I feel rather that the gov't is confiscating so much money out of my paycheck and out of my boss's income that I will soon either NEED food stamps, or be out of a job !

Gov't taking our money is CAUSING our economic crunch !

How about
    - letting people keep their own money with lower taxes,
    - letting businesses keep the money they earn from their customers,
    - lowering regulations and taxes on businesses so that they can CHARGE LESS without going bankrupt - this would lower prices for all of us, too

and then we wouldn't have so many people out of work or unable to earn enough to cover their expenses. They wouldn't NEED the gov't assistance ...

and the gov't would no longer be CAUSING the poverty and closing of businesses with its taxes and regulations on people who work and on people who run a business !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I'm grateful for any assistance I'm ALLOWED to get while we are in a time of hardship. Welfare owes me nothing and I can't wait to get off of assistance!
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 10:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• We are not, nor have we ever been on any type of assistance. But, my uncle has Downs Syndrome, severe, he is 52 and goes to a work shop for the mentally challenged. He lives with my grandmother, always has, always will. She received a letter from the Department of Health and Human Services offering them food stamps...$7.00 a month. This boy is mentally 2years old, non-verbal, having all kinds of health problems, and makes about $20.00 every 2 weeks at the work shop. Do you think that is enough? I'm very mixed about our welfare system, there is so much abuse of it. It just seems like the people who really could use the help, through no fault of their own, are the one's paying for that abuse. My grandmother is 80 years old and has congestive heart failure, she is working a part time job just so she can buy food and pay the bills.
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 3:11 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Not sure, I have never required their assistance. I've done it all on my own... even when I was single and raising two daughters. So, I coudn't answer that... Thank the good lord!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:16 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I haven't ever used food stamps so I don't know how they calculate how much you need. I am guessing it's a ratio of household income to dependents. That said, I have seen people on here post that they get way more than they need or use, so I really don't know. I guess it would have much more to do with the products one is buying and how much shopping savvy they have.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I am very thankful that these programs are in place for those who need them. God bless all of you who are struggling.  I pray that things will get better for you and your families very soon!

I just wish that those who abuse, I guess we have all known at least one, wouldn't continue to do so, just because they can get away with it… What I don't understand is that there are people who REALLY need help but can't qualify, simply because they have a relative to live with. Just because a person has a place to stay doesn't mean anything! Their living expenses are paid by family members but they can't pay all the medical bills, the person is nearly 50, is very sick and cannot work but cannot get ANY assistance, it just makes NO sense!

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I can't get any so yeah I dont get "enough". I've maxed out our credit cards buying groceries because they say we make too much. Um, ok then. I dont see it. I have let 4 bills get behind so we can buy food. My husband works his butt off yet his commission percentage was cut. So when I see someone getting so many FS they cant use them all, sure I feel like I dont get "enough". If I only got $200 I could make that work.
    Anonymous

• Luckily, I am savvy enough to be able to buy all the food we need for the month (for 4 of us) with 330 a month. It helps that I know how to cook and make a meal out of just about anything and that my kids aren't picky eaters. I wish I didn't need the help, but that's the way life is. My spine is twisted and I have a hard time walking, let alone working.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 10:23 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I've never used any assistance but it's an interesting question. It seems I hear so many say they are turned down. Sometimes seems like you have to have no income and no assets.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Sure do!! We don't get jack! J/k We don't get any kind of assistance, but I knew someone in the past that got them and she got A LOT even though she had a full time job.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 9, 2010