How can I treat severe diaper rash with blistering and now raw skin?

My daughter has SEVERE diaper rash with blistering to where it's now raw skin. We went to the Doctor and he gave us some anti-fungal stuff, but it is doing nothing and I have been letting her go without diapers, giving warm baths without soap, changing her diaper constantly, but she's been having diarrhea also and it's not getting better. It's been a week. What should I do?

MommyTuiaki

Asked by MommyTuiaki at 11:48 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Health

• sounds like something my daughter went through, i got this stuff called butt paste and it worked great it even cleaned off her really good after about a week it was gone, plus i used what the doc gave me
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 11:53 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Butt paste is awesome stuff. Air really is the most important thing to treating and preventing diaper rash. Let her go for hours at a time if you can. You didn't say how old she is, but if she's still stationary just put a chux pad or mattress cover (anything waterproof) under her wherever you put her. Even pinning a recieving blanket on her (and keeping her off the furniture lol) will help.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:04 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Ask your doctor for silvadene cream...Its called Silersulfadiazene. The stuff is awesome. I have used it on my two youngest. It is a prescription and it has an antibiotic in it aswell as a pain reliever. It works within 10 minutes of applying it. It also will make changing and wiping the bottom alot easier and pain free. Usually you can call in for the script. Tell the doc or the nurse that the baby is in pain and you heard that there is a cream out there and give them the name. They should know exactly what it is. I am telling you it is AWESOME! I hope the little one's bottom starts healing and feeling better...Gooluck!
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 12:09 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Cornstarch! It does wonders!
    JadeAndKerasMom

Answer by JadeAndKerasMom at 12:15 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Aquaphor works wonders. My little boy had a bad reaction to an antibiotic, it blistered his little bottom to the point of bleeding within a day of taking it. That is what the pharmacist suggested and it was a life saver for us. Hope your little one is feeling better soon.
    ZakZaksmom

Answer by ZakZaksmom at 12:45 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• i have had to use vagisil and Bordeoux's(sp?) Butt Paste because it ended up being a yeast infection
    setgirl

Answer by setgirl at 1:06 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Cornstarch ROCKS - spoon some into a old sock and works like a charm. Butt paste is also great.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:45 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• My son had bleeding diaper rash, we dried his butt with a hair dryer set on low cool, and applied A&D ointment, a ton of the ointment globs and globs if it. I finally figured out that he was allergic to the Pampers swaddlers so once I cleared it up I changed diapers and havent had a prob since. Now when I notice some redness I glob on the A&D and it's gone by the next changeing
    Med109

Answer by Med109 at 11:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• it could be diaper brands-- I usually use Huggies and never have any problems at all.
    5forjulie

Answer by 5forjulie at 10:22 AM on Jun. 8, 2009