Too early to tell autism signs?

My daughter is nearly 11 months. I recently noticed her hitting herself or pulling her hair at random times. It doesn't seem to hurt her, although it looks painful at times, but I just wonder if this is a sign of something I should be concerned about or if this is just her way of expelling energy or something. She periodically pinches or hits me when she nurses, but only at night and I figured it was a way of expelling energy before succumbing to sleep. What do you think? Am I overreacting? Is it too early to tell these kinds of things?

KenzieQsMommy

Asked by KenzieQsMommy at 10:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• way too early, she sounds pretty normal
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 10:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• It sounds as though she is just experimenting with new ideas. Pinching and hitting during nursing is VERY common in any child! It won't say it is to early to start picking up on signs for Autism but I don't think the things you mentioned alone are any reason for concern.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• No!! What she is doing is totally normal. It's her way of communicating anger. She might even hurt herself... she's preparing for tantrums!!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Oh THANK YOU! I'm crying just reading this cause I'm always so worried about her mental well being. I gave up on fighting her pinching and hitting me during nursing a long time ago because it only prolonged her falling asleep. But a friend told me I need to put an end to it before she thinks she can walk all over me. hmmm....??
    KenzieQsMommy

Comment by KenzieQsMommy (original poster) at 10:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Have you looked into nursing beads for her hitting and pinching habits? Those are awesome!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Never heard of them! I'm a first generation nurser LOL
    I don't really know anyone else who nurses. Or ever nursed.
    KenzieQsMommy

Comment by KenzieQsMommy (original poster) at 10:49 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• http://www.mommynecklaces.com/

They are chunky but fashoinable beads that you wear and encourage them to hold nad play with during nursing.  A lot of the hitting, pinching and hair pulling is boredum!  GIve's them something to occumpy their hands while nursing.  Thay are fabulous!!

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:53 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• FANTASTIC! Not sure it'd work at night cause transfer were be hard haha! But during the day that's a great idea!!!!
    KenzieQsMommy

Comment by KenzieQsMommy (original poster) at 10:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• At night I would hold her with the arm facing down tucked under and hold her opposite, flailing hand. Or I was a huge fan of the side lying position. WE would lay down on our sides and she would fall asleep nursing then I would scoot back and pick her up to move her to her bed or DH would take her from me. LINK

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• But I don't think so what you said is a sign of autism:) Children do weird things. They try to explore this world. Everything is new for them. What they can do they repeat it until they get bored of it:) And yeah, I agree with But Mummy:) Entertain her and she will be fine:) And you as well:P
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 11:31 AM on Dec. 10, 2010