Nativity Scenes

Ok, this is a question for people who put out nativity displays. Do you put Jesus out right away or wait until Christmas?

I was driving through our neighborhood today and saw a scene on a neighbors lawn. I was confused as to why they had everyone EXCEPT Jesus, who is really the star of the show. I decided that they must be waiting until his "birthday" to put him out, but now I am not sure. Maybe they just couldn't find that piece?

Help me out! I'm confused. :)

Groovyflor1

Asked by Groovyflor1 at 10:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The tradition in our family is to put the manger on one side of the main room of our house and Mary and Joseph together on the other side. Each day of Advent they move closer and closer to the manger. We talk about their journey as a family and let the kids take turns moving them. On Christmas Eve they arrive at the manger and while the kids are sleeping we add Baby Jesus.
    We find this is a great way to promote discussion about the Holy Family within our family and for it to be a hands-on sort of thing.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 11:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I have heard of this. We don't do it that way but it is very common here to not see baby Jesus until Christmas Eve or day.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Maybe someone stole it? That happens a lot mostly with the teens they go out and steal baby Jesus. To them it's like tping a "harmless" prank.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 10:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• We put Baby Jesus out on Christmas Eve.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:12 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Several of the Churches around here leave Jesus out until Christmas Eve's service.
    I have one ( tho I am Pagan, Dh is Christian) but mine is a silhouette type so nothing is
    movable ...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:05 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I've never noticed the baby Jesus "not" being in the nativity scene. Maybe they just didn't have that piece. My father used to put one out every year and I don't know of a reason it would not be there.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I don't but my parents always did a nativity scene. They put it all out at once. I have never heard of waiting but maybe that is their family tradition.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 10:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• i dont do one, but ive heard of not putting Jesus out till Christmas Eve. i thought it was mostly an indoor scene thing, not an outdoor one.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:58 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I saw a nativity of them performing as a band. It was funny and odd at the same time
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:56 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• It IS a common thing for pranksters to steal baby Jesus's from manger scenes because he is the easiest figure to carry off. All the others are usually too big. It was probably stolen. You know, in the spirit of the season and all.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:23 AM on Dec. 10, 2010