Has anyone bought a home-based business?

I'm specifically interested in different businesses, not the norm. Can you tell me about what you do and how much money you invested in it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• There is a big difference between buying a franchise and doing direct sales. I'm not sure a lot of the women on this website know the difference, honestly.

I really don't have any experience in franchising.  We started our business from scratch.  There are pros and cons to both franchising and starting your own business from the ground up.

I own a business networking and support group here on Cafemom called Mommy Movers & Shakers.  You're welcome to join if you want.  We post a lot of business articles you might find helpful.

HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:48 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I am in the process of buying a home-based business. I had my interview yesterday with the owner of the company. Once I sign the contract and pay $125, I will be a part of the My Smart Hands company. I will be teaching sign language to infants, toddlers, preschoolers, teachers, parents, etc.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I don't think 'signing up' and paying a 'signup package feel' is the same as purchasing a business. You are not the owner, you're a representative of someone else's company.

The multi-level-marketing (MLMs they're called) signup fees run from completely free with a bucket of free products to as much as $1000. Whichever one you buy into, better make sure you really, really, really like selling things (like the idea of buying into MLMs, 'cause that's 1/2 their product line) and have the time to pursue full-time sales, if you're thinking you'll get anything even remotely like full-time money.

You can make a whackload of cash. You have to be lucky, driven, talented and work hard at it every single day, even when it hasn't worked for weeks. Or months. Or years.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:20 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I have my own home based business. I invested $29, and it's the best decision I've ever made. I had tried a couple of other things, one had a start up cost of $995.00. :-( That was a waste of money. I'm now part of an amazing Team. I wouldn't have it any other way. I am a stay at home Mommy to my 3 year old son, and 21 month old daughter. I work with a great group of Moms; we help each other create income from home. No parties, No inventory! Free website, training, and unlimited support!! We have a special to start for just $1 until December 16th!

I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!

Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Helping MOMS Work from Home since 1999!
    Visit my website:
    www.OurCEOMom.com

mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 2:14 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• If you are looking to start a home business, I would highly recommend a few things. You should make sure that you are expected to sell a product or a service. If you are not selling or sharing something...it is probably a scam. Be sure it is something cutting edge, something that is unique. Be sure that it is consumable...you get reorders every month. Be sure you can leverage your time - If I work 10 hours a day and teach 10 others to work 10 hours a day, I have increased my business and am now being compensated for working 110 hours a week. I can take products that I use for personal use and make money off of them...what could be better than that? Our consultant fee is $109 and you receive samples and trainin material to get you started.
    marywoz

Answer by marywoz at 7:33 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Why would you want to "buy" into anything, there are soooo many free options out there!
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:38 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• We started our own businesses from scratch. My spouse has a handyman business. I do career and job search coaching; I also do freelance accounting and business organization, along with some medical billing.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• My husband and I have 2 small franchises, Im a legal broker (self employed) i paid a fee to use the companies equipment pictures etc.. and sell contracts for profit.

My husband also has one with an oil company its called Amsoil.

What if your chosen franchise doesnt work? how much money will you have spent verses buying rights to an already established and good reputation company, even if its MLM?

You will be paying for the same thing except one is wayyy cheaper!! Best of Luck!

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 2:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• dove chocolate sales...for a limited time you can start for only $49. There isn't much else you need to pay for, you have the host supply the rest. Please email me at everythingchocolate@ymail.com for more info. Chocolate is recession proof. The US just sold 16 million in chocolate last year!
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 6:36 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I guess I am talking more along the lines of a franchise guys. I purchase the equipment, sell the product and make the money.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Dec. 10, 2010