at what age do you stop breastfeeding your child ?

im asking because i go to school with this girl who still breastfeed her 3 year old daughter ! is that normal ?

mrzshanteb23

Asked by mrzshanteb23 at 11:35 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I've seen 5 year olds still breastfeeding. Where I live, 3 years old isn't too old. There's nothing wrong with that, as long as both mom and baby are happy with it. I say, as long as they're not going into school on the boob, whatever works. To each their own.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:36 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Usually 16-18 months for us. I'd be okay with three years, but not for me.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 11:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• The WHO recommends a minimum of 2 years. 3 or 4 is common in some cultures. Its healthy for the motherland child.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I bf my son til he was 2.5 yr. and am currently bf my 14 month old.personally I think I'd cut it off at 3yrs. But everyone is didferent
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 11:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• 3 years old is too old in my opinion. Once the child is 1, they should be weaned IMO. I realize this can be a long process, but I can't see sending a 3year old to preschool/daycare with a sippy of breastmilkm much less nursing a 3 year old or older.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• 1 year.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I breastfeed for as long as my baby wants to. My oldest stopped at 2 and a half. I don't think 3 is all that uncommon just a lot of baby's who nurse that long don't usually ask for it in public so it's not as "seen". The APA recommends a minimum of two years and for however long mother and baby are comfortable after. Btw, I'm currently nursing my 2 year old and I don't see her stopping before 3 and I'm okay with that. :)
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 11:45 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I dont judge but personally once a child reaches 8 months I started weaning mine
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 11:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• 2 years old is enough. normally after at least 6 months the most nutrient for a baby is solid food. breast milk isnt enough for him. so more than 2 years is just a bad habit for the baby, more she is nursing the more the weaning is difficult.
    Imane1215

Answer by Imane1215 at 11:53 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I think that is way to old. When they are old enough to drink cows milk I think its time to stop.
    MommyTanisha

Answer by MommyTanisha at 11:58 PM on Dec. 9, 2010