Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8 Bumps

Question for a friend of mine...

A friend of mine has a 2 year old son that has been displaying some concerning symptoms his whole life. She has had him evalutated by a doctor and a pyscologist and because he is so young, they don't really know what, or if, anything is wrong with him. What they HAVE said though, is that he is the complete opposite of Autistic.
He hardly ever sleeps. He goes to bed at 9pm, makes it anywhere between 11pm-1:30pm then wakes up for about an hour, then sleeps till 5am and is up for the day. He takes 1 nap which is anywhere from 1-3 hours.
He is very clingy to people and LOVES to be held and touched and snuggled. However he is also always on the go. He is a really big dare devil and likes to jump off things, climb on things, and do a lot of activities and play with things that could hurt him.
He also scratches his face and bangs his head or arms on things. One time he scratched his face so bad that his whole crib was covered in blood. He also banged his arms on the crib so hard that he bruised both arms all the way up. He has had several black eyes from banging his head on things.

My friend said its not like he can't concentrate on stuff, but he is just constantly needing to do something. He cannot just sit around the house. He doesn't play with toys, he only plays with "big people" things. Toys are beneath him.
Because he physcially hurts himself, many people have threatened to call CPS on my friend...even random people at the mall. She has tried ever form of discipline known to man and NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING works. Her son does not care at all.

Does anyone have any advice I can give her or any insight into what might be going on with her child? Thanks.


Asked by Ash9724 at 11:35 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 21 (11,107 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • The sleeping pattern doesn't sound abnormal, but the other symptoms you mentioned are great area for concern. Especially him hurting himself intentionally to the point of bruising or bleeding. I definately would suggest seeing a nuerologist and/or a Child Psychologist to see if they can help guide her in a direction of what it might be. I definately would not let this go undiagnosed, because it could be of a danger to him in the long run. Not only physically, but mentally.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

  • She needs to see more than one psychologist, and definitely at least one who specializes in children. A child psychologist can at least evaluate his symptoms, perhaps without much conversation with the child. I'm sorry your friend has to go through this.

    Answer by musicpisces at 11:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

  • I would suggest seeing a behavior therapist. Even if they can't give him a diagnosis, they can help him learn how to control his behavior and redirect it to appropriate things.


    Answer by JeremysMom at 11:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

  • An occupational therapist may be able to evaluate and determine if he needs therapy.

    Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

  • I don't know what might be wrong, but a great resource would be an Early Childhood Intervention specialist. She can get a referral to a good one from her pediatrician, and some preschools work closely with ECI's so they would be good for recommendations, too.

    Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

  • Maybe he has a Sensory Disorder? That's all I can think of. Some kids with the disorder need very intense stimulation to feel "ok" with things. That might explain why he hurts himself & has no sense of danger.

    Answer by lisa89j at 11:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

  • There are so many disorders that children have. My grandson has four disorders but has never tried to hurt himself. Sounds like you need a ( child ) phsycologist. In our area their are'nt any. I hope your friend has better luck than I've had.

    Answer by megamamaw at 11:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

  • I'd definitely recommend seeing a specialist, like those listed above.

    Answer by _Tam_ at 12:43 AM on Dec. 10, 2010