How are we so sure that the Bible says only the truth?

Ok so have you ever played that game telephone when you were a kid? It's basically a game when someone tells you something and you tell another and that other tells another and so on....but afterwards it's not the same thing that the person said in the beginning, but something way different.

So the Bible has been around for many many years, and I remember seeing in one of the Jesus movies where Jesus stands up and corrects the man that is reading the Bible and says it wasn't like that and says something way way different I know maybe some don't remember but I saw it. The thing is people always tend to tell you stories and unfortunately it mixes stuff up but really, if this happened before what makes us think it didn't happen AGAIN? people always explain things in many different ways and then everything becomes a false....are we living a LIE?

vall11

Asked by vall11 at 11:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I feel the bible was written by men, inturpretted by men, re written by men...and they could put whatever they like there. They can say "God" told them but how do you know? You don't. Its like the deal with the Mormons and that extra book they have. Joseph Smith says he got some divine intervention & was told what to write. He could have made it up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• If God cannot preserve the basic truth within the Word throughout time, then there was never any point in believing in it. While there have been small changes, ancient manuscripts that have been found have very consistent.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:01 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Incidentally, there is more archeological support for the Bible than for the book of mormon.
    Adelicious

• I think you have to use your best judgment. If you look back into history, the King James version was translated and edited by twelve very different men who were assigned to the job by a king who liked to dress in woman's clothes. Really, you should pray before reading any material and ask if it is true. Religion is between you and your Heavenly Father and if you ask with true intent, you will know what is true and what is a lie or distorted a bit. That is what I have done and my relationship with Him has grown stronger.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 12:06 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I guess this is where belief comes in.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 12:06 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• One doesn't know because as you stated when someone tells someone something & on & on, is it the same story as was told in the beginning? No. But I do believe that the Bible is written as God would want us to know and if we ALL follow the ten commandments it would be a much better world.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:10 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• This is a good question. I know what I have decided about this, but I think it's something each person needs to decide for themselves.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:15 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Also, just to correct the previous poster about the Book of Mormon, Joseph Smith had received revelation and in his early twenties discovered the book of golden plates with an instrument used to translate them. He was not just told what to write. If anyone sits down and actually reads the Book of Mormon, it will be very difficult to believe such a young boy could have made such history and testament up.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 12:28 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Why, because it says it's all true! lol.

There are versions. There are mistranslations that have been well documented. There have been agendas added and removed and books that were intended to be included that were left out. Even within the Bible there are contradictions and things that make no sense at all.

You take what speaks to your heart, what moves your spirit and leave what doesn't. That's how you know what's true for you.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:34 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Well as a Muslim that's basically what I believe. Man has made and altered the bible so much and for so long that much of its original message is lost. That is why God sent Muhammad and Islam to correct what man has made in religion and to guide people back to the straight path, the path to God, to Allah. I have seen many contradictions in the bible, stories that don't even seem to fit with the general themes and ideas set forth in the OT. I cannot believe that an all-knowing, all-seeing God would change his mind or have contradictions of any sort. Only man who is limited in knowledge, is not all seeing or all knowing and makes many mistakes could possibly be responsible for something like that.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 12:40 AM on Dec. 10, 2010