Breastfeeding success stories after a bad first experience?

I was able to breastfeed my son for a little more than 4 months, but he was not gaining anywhere near properly, and we ended up having to switch him to a high-calorie formula. I'm already starting to feel baby-fever (but won't be giving in to that urge anytime soon!), and I'm wondering... Do any of you have success stories of breastfeeding after having the first time not work out so well? I think the problem was that I just really never made enough milk. My son's pediatrician says it's completely possible, but I'd feel better hearing from women who have actually had it happen!

heather.huckaby

Asked by heather.huckaby at 12:02 AM on Nov. 7, 2008 in General Parenting

• I only BF my first son for 2 weeks. I had no idea what I was doing, and I really had no support. My mother kept telling me to "just give him a bottle!" I had people who kept coming over and I wasn't able to devote the time needed to really get it right. It was the one thing that I always regretted. When I had my daughter, I was determined to BF. I made my mind up and it was wonderful. I always supplemented with bottles when needed and I pumped when I became engorged. I BF her for 9 months. I also BF my third for 8 months.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:02 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Well I only have one baby so far but here is my success story- Jeremiah refused to nurse the first three weeks of his life. I was lucky if he latched on for 5 minutes, so I pumped and supplimented formula to my dismay. Then, when he was 3 weeks old, my DH and I sporatically decided to spend the night at my MIL's house. Because this was a spur of the moment trip (we were in the neighborhood) I didn't have my pump with me. I didn't want to go dry overnight, so I decided to give nursing another shot, and BAM- it worked like a charm. He LOVED it, and continued to nurse exclusively throughout the day, formula at night until he was 3 months old. When he was around 2 months old we moved into our house and he had to stay with my mom a lot while we did moving things, so my milk started to dry up and he got more attatched to the ba ba. The same time he self weaned, my pump broke and my milk supply dried up. Fate? I think so
    MommyErin06

Answer by MommyErin06 at 1:43 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Yes, I could not breastfeed with my first but was able to with my second - sort of. He was a preemie so he never took to the breast so I pumped and he got my breastmilk through a bottle. If you pump, rent one from a hospital; the ones you buy at the store are worthless and do not work. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:13 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• A lot of first time mothers have trouble getting into the swing of all things "breastfeeding". At the hospital or in birth class (or here on CM) ask for a lactation consultant.

La Leche League (LLL) has an 800 # you can call anytime, they are a great support system. Normally as second time mothers we have more patience and are more realxed.

One bit of advice, if you feel you aren't producing enough and want to supplement, you can supplement with your own "formula" (your breastmilk) by pumping after feeds and building up your own milk supply in your freezer. This way you can avoid icky formula and not stress babies gut with switching back and forth.

Our bodies are amazing, newborns feed constantly as their stomachs are the size of walnuts at birth and their feeding so often builds up a supply b/c the demand is so great.

Good luck hun!
    StarMommy77

Answer by StarMommy77 at 10:17 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I nursed my son for 8 months in 2000 after a very rocky start.

I pumped for my daughter for 4 months in 2006 while she was in the NICU. If you have a sick child, I would echo the recommendation about renting the hospital grade pump.

Don't confuse a nursing strike with self-weaning, babies rarely ever self wean before 24 months.

I belong to several natural brith and nursing groups on CM that are wonderful. Join, by the time you have your next you'll have a degree in Breastfeeding!
    StarMommy77

Answer by StarMommy77 at 10:24 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• When my daughter was born, she had this weird bump under her tongue. At first no one could figure out what it was. I think it gave her problems at first, with coordinating her sucking. I gave her a pacifier and it seemed to help her get the hang of it. But she still had trouble latching on. So I pumped religiously for two weeks. Which if you have never done this exclusively, is EXHAUSTING!! My husband was in Iraq, so I was doing it all on my own. Finally I looked down at her and said, "I don't want to do this, but if you don't start breastfeeding, I am going to have to give you formula!" I put her to my breast and BLAM, it's like she finally got it. She nursed like a champ for her first 12 months. And she did self wean when she turned a year old.

evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 11:50 AM on Nov. 7, 2008