DS not talking

My son is 12 months old and still not talking. He doesn't say mama, dada or any other words. He knows his name and I don't think that hearing is the issue because he hears quiet noises (like a fly buzzing on the window) and he responds to his name, he know the word "no" and certain toys he knows and recognizes phrases such as "lets go eat" or "it's tub time" but he shows no interest in talking. He does lots of babbling and yelling. I am a SAHM and he is our only child. He is only around other children about once a month and they aren't usually his age. During the day I keep the TV off (except when he is napping) and I do lots of reading books to him and sing songs, patty cake-he does the motions, and likes to clap when you say "yay". He knows how to wave and all of the other milestones he has already reached, but I am starting to get really concerned about the talking. His doctor expressed concern and lectured me on reading to him and singing-I told him that I do all of that but he acted like he didn't believe me. Should I be taking him in to be seen by another dr. for possible disorders or do I just need to chill out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I say give him more time. It sounds like he understands. Some kids just don't speak very early, then all of a sudden, they start busting out sentences. Keep doing what you're doing, and maybe find a more supportive doctor. Most doctors will encourage you to keep working with him on it, but pressure won't help him, in fact, it can make him regress. Just let him be a kid, keep things fun, and try not to stress too much, mama! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:24 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• 12 months is extremely early for children to talk.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:21 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Sounds to me like you need to stop talking for him. Right now, he doesn't feel the need to talk because you are filling the silence for him.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 12:28 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Give him more time....remember: we spend 2 yrs teaching them to walk or talk and the rest of their lives trying to get them to sit down and be quiet! lol
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 8:38 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• according to my doctor, and the books that I have read he should be saying single words such as "mama", "dada", "ball" and he should have been doing so for a couple of months now
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:24 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• At this age, its more about him understanding what you say rather then him actually talking. As long as he appears to understand what you are saying, I would not worry about it. I do the Parents As Teachers program in my area. Many school districts have it. You should look into it. Its a wonderful resource on child development. The lady who comes to our home provides developmental information & access to screenings to catch any early issues a child may have. She is the one who provided me with a handout on language skills in young children & it stresses that their comprehension of things is more important at this age then them actually saying words.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Some children are just late in certain milestones. I wouldn't be worried just yet.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 12:25 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• LOL! No. It's totally OK. Granddaughter #2 didn't even attempt to start talking until she was 2. Honestly. We took her to the Dr. at two and she said she was fine. When she turned two she started saying words. She started forming sentences just recently and she will be 3 in January. We also had her tonsils and adenoids out this month... so hopefully that will help her as well. She can go to speech starting in January when she turns 3, but she's made a 75% improvement. They are all different.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:25 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I'm surely no expert. I have 3 daughters and they all walked and talked at different times. My youngest didn't talk until she was well over a year old. My 2nd daughter didn't walk until she was 14 months old. I stayed at home and lived in an isolated area with the first one so I talked to her all the time - what choice did I have? - and she may have been babbling by 12 months but not much. The middle one was talking at 12 months and she has yet to hush except while sleeping and she's 13!! Guess what I'm saying is, don't stress. I'm sure your baby will talk in his own time!
    etown2reds

Answer by etown2reds at 12:29 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I have a neice and a nephew that didn't talk by then either. I just talk to them constantly when I am babysitting them. The two year old boy has learned most of his words from our son that is the same age. Even though our children all start saying Mama and Dada by about eight months, I certainly don't think anything is wrong with my neice and nephew. Just different.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 12:49 AM on Dec. 10, 2010