trying to understand

I guess this is more of a vent then a question....I was just wondering how on earth a plain, not sexy, ext... girl like myself can even begin to try and compete....no matter what I try to do to look pretty or whatever it isn't enough because every other program on the T.V. even regular channels and it seems like every commercial has some dang near naked hot chick on there that makes me feel ugly allll over again.....so I wonder why I even try...
Come on you hot chickks give us plain chicks a chance lol

firechickk

Asked by firechickk at 12:43 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Why would you try to compare yourself to women on tv? Every one on tv looks that way for a reason. so people will look at them & then (in vain) try to be like them. They are selling a product. You however only need to sell yourself and to sell yourself you need to look good inside not just outside.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Don't ever compare yourself with anyone else. We are all perfect.

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 12:47 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Not sure where you've stored your self-esteem, but it seems to be hiding.

You need to have a couple of heart-to-hearts with some live men.

Oh, sure, they love looking at photos of air-brushed perfection --but they hardly stand out in that manner. When was the last time you preferred to look at photos of maimed and sick animals? Starving or distressed children? Diseased, drunk and ugly men?

Seriously.

What live, real men actually WANT is permission to touch, someone to connect with and someone who they feel better about themselves when she's present than absent. Super-high standards, they have. They'll even put up with someone who only does it from time to time, because ever is better than never.

Try getting out more.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:51 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Youth is wasted on the young! lol. I'll be 49 next month and if I knew now, what I didnt know then. I wouldnt have had that voice telling me the same exact thing yours is telling you now. Not that Im not ok now, its just back then I was skinny minnie with tons of energy and well, I was hot! Stop comparing yourself to the girls in the ads and magazines. I so approve of who I was then, now. Too bad I was so hard on her back then. She was really something special. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Women on TV are the WORST thing to compare yourself to. They have make up artists and hair stylists and wardrobe stylists to make them look thin and dietitians and a regular arsenal so they appear perfect. Have you seen what they look like when they're not wearing make up? They look kind of NORMAL.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:52 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Why would you want to compare yourself to women who are airbrushed and fake? They have personal trainers and dietitians to make sure they "keep on track" with that their contracts tell them.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:55 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I thank you for your advice and comments...yes I have very low self esteem and I really try hard not to compare with them because I no a lot of it is fake but some days are harder then others...I was just kinda wondering If anyone else felt this way sometimes...I am trying to work on my self esteem....
    firechickk

Comment by firechickk (original poster) at 12:57 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I agree totally with this "Women on TV are the WORST thing to compare yourself to." All you have to do is to look at them on a high DEFF TV that UN covers all of the  glitz and glamor that the like to try and portray them selves!

You have to be comfortable in your own skin instead of wanting to look like some one if you don't then you come across as being phony and fake and most other women can spot that type from a mile away as they say.

Susanmomof

Answer by Susanmomof at 3:04 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• My self-esteem and your self-esteem ran away together to The Island Of Harsh Reality, I think...

Beyond comparing myself to television personalities, there is the simple reality that I am just not pretty in what is considered to be the average norm. It makes it hard to rationalize any effort really, because what's the damn point in trying to improve something when it isn't going to make a whit of difference in how anyone views me, including myself?
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:42 AM on Dec. 10, 2010