So....what does squash taste like?

I've never had it before and I'm curious on what other people say about it before I try to plan a simple recipe to use squash with..

SparklingHope

Asked by SparklingHope at 1:00 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Food & Drink

• The darker the flesh, the stronger the flavour, generally...acorn squash is about as strongly flavoured as pumpkin... butternut squash is pretty mild. Spaghetti squash is pretty strong.

What it tastes like? Well, it tastes like squash. Not a lot 'like' anything else... it's kind of like carrot only nowhere near as sweet, it's a mellow deep flavour that's hard to hide but goes really well with the bright, sharp flavour of ginger or the mellow spice of cinnamon and nutmeg.

Some people eat it with marshmallow, which I think is just disturbing since squash has a natural sweetness that's just amplified by sugar. I have used a bit of maple syrup with it, but really prefer savory.

You can use any winter squash in place of pumpkin (which is a winter squash) in any recipe.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:13 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• It depends on what kind you get.
    MarvelousMama

Answer by MarvelousMama at 1:56 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• What kind of squash? Yellow squash tastes kind of like zucchini. Butternut squash is kind of sweet, like pumpkin. What kind of recipe?
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:02 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I must be eating the wrong squash; the only one I've had tasted super bland.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:03 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Spaghetti Squash is delicious.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 1:24 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• All squash tastes a bit different. Winter squashes are our favortie. We like to slow roast acorn squash in the oven brushed with a little ginger butter. Zucchini and yellow neck are fairly bland when just steamed or boiled. If you grill them though they have a fantastic taste..a little nutty maybe. Incredibly healthy food.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:33 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Pure awesomeness. I just cut it up and put in on the grill or on a skillet. It is so yummy and that would be yellow squash. Acorn I stuff with mushrooms, cheese and onions.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:54 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• it tastes delicious! I like to sautee it with zucchini, mushrooms and garlic in white wine
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:59 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• We cook yellow squash in a frying pan with butter and salt and pepper, and it is really good. It just tastes like a buttered veggie. Not very strong.
    Mamas2babies

Answer by Mamas2babies at 9:30 AM on Dec. 10, 2010