Do you believe your name can determine how successful you are?

I can't find the study, but "they" did do a study and I guess it's true.

Aquarius80

Asked by Aquarius80 at 1:00 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes. People with weird spellings and out there names are often not called for interviews over someone with equal qualifications but an easier name. Also, women with names that sound like "stripper names" (Candi, Bambi, etc) tend not to be taken very seriously in life.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:04 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I beleieve it determines success to a degree. You decide. And God can do anything you ask Him to!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:03 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I think it's actually an inversion of the reality: some names can really hold you back. Names that say 'poor, ignorant, stupid' are a real impediment...and gender neutral names can be a problem for men (because they might be women)...

So, maybe don't call your pretty little girl Colonica, Vulva or Vagina because they're pretty words... And unless you'd like your son to have a really hard time in a lot of professions, Julia and Kimberly and Marion should probably be reserved as middle names.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:04 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Interesting article here

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:05 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• A good friend of my MIL told me that when she was pregnant that she heard that, so she named him something that was regal. Every name she liked she said with the words... The Honorable Blah Blah Blah. She knew she found the right name when it sounded great as a judge's name.
    Seems to have worked. He now is a grown man with a prestigious job and a great life. His father was absent from his life and was a worthless bum, so she raised him by herself, working two jobs.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:05 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Yes I believe it can definitely be a contributing factor to a person's success or lack of success in life. However it is not the end all. Anyone can truly go as far as any other person, regardless of their name, as long as they are willing to complete their education and really work to reach their goals. However, I agree, that path is going to be a lot less resistant when your name is spelled correctly, sounds professional and is not something that an eighth grader would dream up.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:13 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I'm not really sure. My parents got my first name from a model in the early 80s; it's Hebrew for "palm tree."
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:02 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Mine is Hebrew for "palm tree" as well.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 1:32 AM on Dec. 10, 2010