Have you ever been Scared/Anxious to move?

I have lived in a suburbia area in the wine country my whole life. I have not ever lived anywhere else. My SO is content with where we live because it is great, he came from all over california, no one place, so he is happy with being here, but because of school I will be moving in exactly one year.
It'll be me, my son, and my SO all moving to this new, unknown place, in a more city like setting. I am scared/anxious all at once. It's some time away but because it's my first time leaving this county to live somewhere else I am nervous.

{VENT}
For instance...because I know where the safe and not so safe places to live are here, I know where I can live for cheap and feel safe, and where I would rather pay more to uproute a bit. So now we only pay $900 for a one bedroom.

Because we are moving to a city like area I have no idea which would be safer, so I looked around online and it seems like for me to feel in my element where I live We'll have to pay about $1200 for a 2bedroom. WHich isn't bad, for the bay area, but still.

I'm going to have to take out a small loan to cover school and whatever we can't afford for living expenses, I want to make sure I can be there for my son as much as possible, he will have no family in this area, and I see my mom every day, now I will be 2 hours away living in the city. :(

Have you ever felt nervousness over a move and being around people who are completely new to you, where you know no body?

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 1:03 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• Of course, because that's a very normal reaction. I moved to rural CT from suburban NY and it was major culture shock. Once I started working and making friends, it got better.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 3:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• change is always a good thing! Maybe just take a trip to the new area and get a feel for it before commiting to move there so your more comfterble!!!!! and just think it wont take you that long to learn the good n bad areas !!! good luck!!
    mrsnys

Answer by mrsnys at 1:09 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• i hate moving packing unpacking it's pain in the ass and moving to place is hard at first losing my friends but making new ones
    my family will visit no matter where i live .i lived in this small town over 21yrs but better life for my kids i would move to end of the earth just
    they can have better life
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 1:11 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I've been nervous and anxious, yes. I think it was our last move (from Colorado to Texas). We weren't exactly sure where we were going to be living (hotel room, house, apartment, trailer). When we found out, we were devastated with the condition it was in.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:06 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Thats probably the only reason I am moving is because I need to finish out my college career so I can make a better life for my child and family.

The place I live now is great though, I would commute if I didn't mind my son being 2 hours away while I was at class, but I couldn't handle that. I'd rather us all just move for 2 years so I can finish what I need to.
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 1:17 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• yes its a big step , everythime i move i get anxious or scared but it goes away as i get used to everything
    bekkaboo89

Answer by bekkaboo89 at 8:27 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Anytime there is a big change in your life it can be hard. Especially you always living in that one place. I believe that change is good once in a while though. I wish you the best of luck!!!
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:37 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• If you're feeling nervous about your safety talk to a realtor. They would be able to help you out in that regard. You can also request this information from the police department.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:41 AM on Dec. 10, 2010