This is my first post- i have a question :)

Pre-pregnancy, i had pretty bad anxiety attacks. Pain in my chest, tunnel vision, tremors, heart racing, and would get major heat flashes, and would have to try and relax my breathing or i would eventually hyperventilate.
Today in the car, i started feeling my first signs of an anxiety attack for the first time since i have been pregnant.
I'm scared this is going to just get worse when my son is here-
I have heard of people running into their babies room to make sure they are still breathing..
I already do that with my niece, i can't imagine with my son...
My question is, is their medication you can take while pregnant to calm down anxiety? Or do i just have to wait until i have my son..

(i will be asking my OB my next appointmet)

Bears-mama

Asked by Bears-mama at 1:24 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I'm glad that you'll be talking to your OB at your next appointment; they can give you the professional and medical insight needed for this question.

I wish I could tell you that it gets better. I didn't have anxieties with my daughter until she was born. After she was born, the floodgates opened and my anxieties got worse. The thing that helped me was therapy. I was never prescribed medication and I wonder why. Then again, the therapist I chose didn't dole out medication unless it was absolutely necessary.

I think it would be a wise idea to start therapy of some kind while you're pregnant. Therapy can help you out a lot with the anxieties you have now. Good luck!
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:28 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I agree, take some counseling or therapy and wait on the medications as long as possible so they don't affect the baby. Of course, talk to your doctor, but hopefully some therapy will carry you through!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:43 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• You can look into medication. And you can look into holistic remedies.
    Have you tried Rescue Remedy (Bach flower essence)? Soooo helpful!!
    Also know that most women *do* look in on their children while they sleep... Co-sleeping is a great solution for many moms.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:09 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I have heard there are natural remedies to calm anxiety. I had anxiety before getting pregnant as well, and I just try and stop myself and breathe and close my eyes for a while if I feel I am getting too stressed out....good luck!
    rbailey2414

Answer by rbailey2414 at 2:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2010