Is 10 months too young to give my baby milk?

Brayden has started HATING his formula so I gave him a little milk and he LOVES it. Now, he wants nothing to do with his formula. I am giving him more foods with iron and fiber to help with what he won't be getting from his formula!

Mmmanduh

Asked by Mmmanduh at 1:43 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What does your pediatrician say? Have you talked to them yet? They know what your infant should and shouldn't be taking in. It's been awhile (my daughter is 4), but I think you can start giving babies milk after six months. Double check with your pediatrician first.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:47 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I have an appointment Monday, but she said that as long as he isn't having any negative side effects, he should be fine.
    Mmmanduh

Comment by Mmmanduh (original poster) at 1:48 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• if i remember correctly you can start giving a lil bit at 10 months..just make sure you give him whole milk!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:04 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• He seems to be a little constipated though... that is why I made the appointment.
    Mmmanduh

Comment by Mmmanduh (original poster) at 2:11 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Have you ever tasted formula? It's revolting. I'm not surprised he prefers something fresher.

It is not safe for babies to drink very much cow's milk, certainly not as a major source of food, until their kidneys are mature enough --and they're eating enough other foods-- to deal with the tremendously high sodium, calcium and protein loads...

While babies still need high fat (human milk is dramatically higher in fat, and babies need it for brain and central nervous system growth), high sugar (and the kinds of sugars in breastmilk, not just any cheap kind, or even any mammal's kind) and easily digested protein (which cow's milk is not), it is not safe to use unmodified cow's milk (or anything else) to make up the bulk of their diets.

The results of drinking cows milk (whole or otherwise) include kidney failure and death... but also the much more likely anemia, malnourished, dehydrated and poor growth.

And constipation.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:15 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Well he is definitely not having any problems in the growth department, lol. He eats tons of other foods. For breakfast he eats whole wheat cereal, oatmeal or rice cereal with fruit. For lunch he will eat 4 oz of veggies and mac and cheese or a little quarter of a sandwich on wheat bread, and for dinner he eats whatever we are having (usually grilled chicken). He is eating plenty of other food and no longer seems to be in need of formula for sustenance.

He drinks 2 5 oz bottles of water a day, 4 oz of juice and about 12oz of milk.
    Mmmanduh

Comment by Mmmanduh (original poster) at 2:45 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Please bump, i need more advice!
    Mmmanduh

Comment by Mmmanduh (original poster) at 2:53 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I'm on my 4th baby now and i think as long as your baby can handle the milk and is also able to take in everything you posted above then whats to worry about. I'll probably switch this baby sooner than my others for the simple fact of cost. I'm in in much different place financially now than with my others so as soon as i can he'll be off formula. As long as your baby is healthy & keeps growing as he should you have nothing to worry about.
    DINKSYS

Answer by DINKSYS at 3:23 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I gave my son regular milk starting at about 10 months. I started off with an ounce or two. When he didn't have any adverse reactions, I increased the amount. Within a few days, he was drinking about 4 oz a day.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 11:23 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Technically speaking, yes, ten months is too young. The constipation could be a result of it. See what your doc says.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:22 PM on Dec. 10, 2010