Disposible vs. Cloth diapers

I have a 3 yr old and would love to have another if able to and i was wondering if cloth diapers are actually better. i had my daughter young and did not even know that there was still people who used them. Please give me your insight! thank you!

VERONICAS_MOM

Asked by VERONICAS_MOM at 2:36 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I used cloth diapers and loved it, they are a little more work than disposibles but in the long run it definitely saves a lot of money. I didn't use pre-folder, and didn't have any problems with that. You would probably have to try it out to see if it is something you can handle on a regular basis, but use to just rinse them out in the toilet through them in the diaper pale and washed them every other day. Truly wasn't difficult, saved money and I believe it helped with potty training, when the time came. I did use disposible at night for short time because I didn't want them sleeping in the wet or dirty diapers over night when they started sleeping through the night.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Cloth diapers are expensive at first. They are a little difficult and messy to clean. And depending how many you buy, you will be having to wash them every single day.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 2:42 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• is it worth it in the long run? or would stickn to disposable be better?
    VERONICAS_MOM

Comment by VERONICAS_MOM (original poster) at 2:50 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• You could get a few cloth diapers and try it out to see if it's something you'd like to do full time. I did disposables with my kids. I wanted to try cloth but my DH was 100% against it (men are so weird sometimes). There are a few cloth diapering groups here like this one http://www.cafemom.com/group/1103/forums/1103/General_Discussion and this one http://www.cafemom.com/group/3775/.

DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 3:43 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• OMG I LOVED my cloth diapers! They weren't that messy for me, most of the time. The only time they got really messy was when the poop was REALLY runny. It would have helped if I'd had a diaper sprayer (they attach to the toilet), but I used the shower sprayer stretched over the toilet and it worked out alright. I used BumGenius 2.0s and some prefolds with covers. I also made a couple of diapers that could be used with my covers (I didn't get around to making covers because I didn't have the money), and it was actually really easy. They are more expensive up front, but they paid for themselves with us in less than 3 months. I think I paid a little over $100 for a dozen prefolds, 5 or 6 Bum Genius diapers and 3 or 4 covers for the prefolds. We spent, at that time, about $40-50 a month on disposables. My water bill didn't go up at all, either. I washed every 2-3 days (we also used gDiapers, for wash days).
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:43 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Sorry for the ramble lol, but I REALLY loved those diapers. You can send me a message sometime if you want diaper sites or have any more questions. The cloth diaper groups here on CM are AWESOME!
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:46 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• i never tried them but i wanted to. i was lucky enought that when i had my second child that my first was out of diapers and only regressed for a few wks back into them.
    honey_bear_2787

Answer by honey_bear_2787 at 10:58 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• We use cloth diapers and I love it. We use disposables sometimes when traveling and even my husband complains about the disposables and prefers the cloth. We use prefolds and Thirsties covers at home and pocket diapers when out and about or someone other than my husband or me are changing her. I wash every other day. It's really not that hard. It's not like you wash them with a wash board. You throw them in the washer and go about your day.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 10, 2010