I took my son to the doctor yesterday but he still has a fever and hasn't been wanting to eat, how long does a child of 5 yrs old have to finally eat something?

I'm afraid for him to die of not eating, how long do I have to take him to the emergency so they can put him an ivy, if he hasn't eaten for 3 days? the doctor said hes throat was red and infected but he has a fever too. Gosh he keeps on getting sick now that hes enrolled in school but before he ever went to school he never got sick. I guess the students germs are to strong for his immune system to tolerate. He fnally drank powerade today and threw up at walmart.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Health

• Try Pedialyte. Its the dehydration you are going to have to worry about first. The pedialyte popsicles would be good for his throat.
    leasure0911

Answer by leasure0911 at 5:18 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I would not worry so much about the eating it is more about getting fluids into him. I agree with trying the Pedialyte and the pedialyte popsicles. If he won't drink the pedialyte try regular popsilces, ice chips, water, or juice. If he is not eating much you could try things like toast, white rice, bananas, or crackers.

If he doesn't start to get better you can call the doctor back in a few days.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:55 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Like the other PP's said, worry about what he's drinking. He won't die of starvation - but he could end up in serious trouble from dehydration! Having a fever is NOT a bad thing!! It means his body is doing it's job to fight the infection. Boost his vitamin D intake - not just C - vitamin D is the "flu fighting" vitamin. It is safe to give him 4-6,000 UI's (or more, ask the Dr!) for 3 days. He will be better lickety split!

In the winter months, I give my kids 4,000 UI's of vitamin D DAILY and a multi daily AND also give airbourne 1-2 times daily upon their request. The kids LOVE it and IT WORKS!! Hope your little guy feels better soon!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 7:02 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Fevers usually break after about 3-4 days in viral infections. After that the appetite usually picks up. Encourage water often to keep him hydrated.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 8:43 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Keep him hydrated and keep an eye on him. If he's feeling poorly, I would keep him home, too (not in Walmart).
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:59 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Sometimes kids will go for days not eating, but as long as they stay hydrated (still peeing and producing tears) and you stay in contact with doc they generally start feeling better after flu is over. DO NOT take him anywhere until he is fever free for at least a day. (except for the dr of course).
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:04 AM on Dec. 12, 2010