Is there any moral limit to how much the government can tax?

Fed up with the bailout and probable tax increases and inflation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• There are laws and regulations which set the amounts for taxes, but with new laws this can be changed. I don't believe there is a limit because if you imagine that people in 1900 barely made a few dollars a week, the tax limit would have been staggeringly different than now.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 12:20 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Can you use the words "moral" and "government" in the same sentence?

I don't think there is a limit. 100 years ago, there was no federal income tax. Now, some people pay over a third of their income. If Congress passes a law to raise taxes, then taxes are raised by however much they say.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:23 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• You're expecting those greedy, money-grabbing, blood suckers to have MORALS??rolling on floor

brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:32 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Moral --- government ?! I think those two parted company in Congress' leadership a good while ago. Last time I remember seeing men in Congress act with morals was that Contract with America movement of those freshmen in the House of Representatives. I watched a lot of C-Span at the time and it was quite exciting to see what they were doing (It was also my introduction to the mind-control doublespeak used in the media to manipulate the public's idea of what was going on ... also called lying to gain power.)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:01 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Too funny. I thought it was a joke, being that you mentioned moral and government together. I think it's required that they check their morals at the door when they enter the political arena.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:39 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• People in 1900 did not pay income tax, nor social security nor medicare. They actually kept all of their hard earned money. Yes there is a limit, which was long ago ignored when the government established the IRS, social security and medicare. All of this is acutally illegal. But most of the public ignores that fact or is to dumb to study for themselves and so we have all been fooled into being sheep and doing what we are told.
    luvmybabieskna

Answer by luvmybabieskna at 1:52 PM on Nov. 7, 2008