Does anyone do pilates?

How long have you done them? What kinds of results have you had?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 3:49 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• My main workout is running but I do pilates twice a week mostly to stretch and lengthen my muscles. I've been doing it for about a year now. I have definately noticed a difference in my core strength. My abs are more defined. I thinks it's a great workout but I think you also need to incorporate some type of cardio along with it....walking, running, kickboxing or whatever it is you enjoy doing for cardio.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:18 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I do both pilates and some yoga in conjunction with my cardio and strength training routines. I find that pilates really helps strengthen the core and helps improve balance and posture. When your core is strong and centered, it just makes you feel overall more "in shape". I will usually do pilates (or yoga) after a cardio routine--I'll shorten my cardio on some days to 45 minutes instead of an hour to save some energy for 20 minutes or so of core training. It can be challenging, esp. at first, but if you're not constantly challenging your body then you're stagnating instead of improving. BTW, I have never taken a class for this--I do it all from either DVD's or my cable's OnDemand exercise menu.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:57 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I don't think I can bend that way anymore lol. I had back surgery at age 21 and I don't want to throw something outta whack! I admire people who do pilates a great deal though.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:00 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I did pilates at home with a dvd. My body likes to get bulky when I work out and the pilates helped my body become lean and longer looking. The first 2 weeks were pretty challenging but after that I was following along with no breaks in between. I started seeing a difference after a month and then it really took off after about 2 months. I did them every other day but I also did 30 minutes of cardio along with some resistance training. Give them a try, you will love the way you look and feel.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 7:28 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Oops, sorry, I just realized I didn't exactly answer your questions--I have been doing it for about 3 years and the improvements that I've noticed are a tightened abdominal area, including the obliques, better posture, and great flexibility.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:58 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I can do some of their stuff but not all. It's ok but not sure I have the discipline needed to do it all the time and get serious results.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:50 PM on Dec. 10, 2010