charcoal...

my puppy seems to be infatuated with charcoal! she doesn't eat it (i'm pretty sure) but she sure likes to rip open the bag and take briquettes all over the yard. i know i need to find somewhere safe to store the charcoal but we just recently moved and i don't have anywhere to put it. she spends a good part of the day outside, and i take her to the doggy park almost every day to get exercise and play time, but she still does this (and digs, and chewed up my container of matches that was ON the table, ugh). whhyyy? does anybody know why she won't leave the charcoal alone? she has food...

llansky

Asked by llansky at 12:19 AM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Pets

• she's a dog and a puppy!! puppy are like small children they get into everything and anything they can because they are curious!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:23 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• It may be because it's simply fun to play with. Our neighborhood dogs ALWAYS get into our charcoal when we leave it outside and it REALLY irritates me. It's like little black soccer balls for dogs...they "paw" them around everywhere. I had to start putting my charcoal bags in the bottom of our pantry closet and shut the door or else my DAUGHTER gets into it when we bring it inside.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 12:25 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Yuck. That could be messy. Maybe she likes the smell. Who knows. Dogs are weird. Mine was eating the Christmas tree bulbs last night. Go figure.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:40 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• to play with it. she is just bored.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:41 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Constructive walks where you make the dog obey are more exhausting to a dog then free play. Making a dog heel and listen to you makes them focus more and they will calm down more. Ad for the charcol, ingesting it isn't the best for it. I would recommend putting it in the garage or in the house. It is your responsablility to keep it out of their reach.
    shanny35

Answer by shanny35 at 8:30 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• hummmm....Get a rubbermaid container so she doesn't get into it, kinda irresponsible.....a puppy will play with anything, and ripping open a bag to find things that fit perfectly in her mouth is a good time to her.....
    itsaboy1208

Answer by itsaboy1208 at 2:41 AM on Nov. 8, 2008