anyone taken high blood pressure meds and had a healthy baby?

My OB just put me on Labetalol hcl i started taking it last night but its technical not consider safe i looked it up last night but my ob said that at this point if the baby was born today he'd survive but thats not the point i want him to be healthy and stay as long as he can to fully develop every feature or aspect he will need which are his lungs .

firstimemommy21

Asked by firstimemommy21 at 7:42 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• How far along are you? I developed high blood pressure at 40 weeks and the ob.gyn said induce so that's what I did. Drugs were never disscussed. Ended up with a 21hour labor and a c-section. Baby was healthy as can be though. Still is 6 years later. Never even had an ear infection. It'll be ok. You can always get a second opinion or refuse the drugs. Read up on the subject as much as you can.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 8:01 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• im 31 weeks along
    firstimemommy21

Comment by firstimemommy21 (original poster) at 8:04 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• oh and i also take 100 mg 2x a day
    firstimemommy21

Comment by firstimemommy21 (original poster) at 8:05 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• OK, the exact warning is "Labetalol should be used during pregnancy only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus." It also says "Labetalol hydrochloride given to pregnant women with hypertension did not appear to affect the usual course of labor and delivery."

In your doctor's judgement you having high blood pressure is a greater risk to your baby because if the pressure on the blood vessels is high, it can constrict the blood flow to the placenta. Developing hypertension after 20 weeks of pregnancy also puts you at greater risk of pre-eclampsia. Hypertension is associated with placental abruption and intrauterine growth retardation and a lot of other complications specifically to you.

If you want to, ask for a second opinion. Or PM and I'll look for more info for ya. HUGS and good luck!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:15 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• awww thank you so much everyone around me is telling me to just take it but im so paranoid he's going to come out abnormal or not be healthy and it will be all my fault ;/
    firstimemommy21

Comment by firstimemommy21 (original poster) at 8:21 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I didn't take this drug but I did have to take Tamiflu, because I had been exposed to swine flu during my pregnancy. Tamiflu had the same warning that kjrn79 wrote above. I totally feel your pain because I was a nervous wreck but my doctor told me the same thing - the benefits outweigh the risks and the pregnancy was far along enough where the baby was formed. I know you must be so nervous but I am sure you will be fine. I had my baby at 36 weeks, took Tamiflu, had the swine flu vaccine, and he was very healthy and still is! I know its not the same exact drug but I hope this helped a little.
    tarakenyon06

Answer by tarakenyon06 at 8:42 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Yes,I took BP pills throughout my whole pregnancy with my 6 month old DD(I have had HBP since my DS was born 5years ago) but I took Methyldopa and still am b/c I am BF if you have any questions feel free to send a message G/L and Congrats on your pregnancy. :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:01 AM on Dec. 10, 2010