am i being too hard on him

My 4yr old pee in the bed so I took the two things he love his ds lite and his mobi go he will get them back 2morra is this too much 4 a 4yr old

keona101

Asked by keona101 at 7:52 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• Did he pee on purpose or while sleeping? It makes a difference
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:53 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• YES! At any age! He can't help peeing in his bed! That is totally normal for some boys up to age 10 or even 11!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:54 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• While he was sleep
    keona101

Comment by keona101 (original poster) at 7:55 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Children can not control wetting  the bed while they are sleeping. It has to come with age and maturity of their body. Do not punish a child for wetting the bed while they were asleep. Google "bed wetting" or read a couple of books about it.  I would apologize to him and give him back his toys.

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:58 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Night time enuresis is very normal especially in boys. It will in most cases end by age 6 or7 but in a few cases it can last all the way to pre-teen age. It is caused by deep sleep and the bladder growing a little slower than the rest of the body. You are not doing him any favors by making him feel bad about something he can do nothing about.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:59 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I'm with the others... I would never punish my 4 yr old DD for peeing at night. At that age they have no control over it and punishing them would cause more damage than good. Give him his toys back, tell him it is OK, and explain that you will help him work through it.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:02 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I have a ten year old daughter that still wets the bed at night. She is such a heavy sleeper she can'' wake up. SO, yes I think it was a little too much. He will eventually stop. Some just do it alot quicker than others.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:11 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• oh sure! in fact you should remove all items form his room and tell him to wear a diaper for the next 5 days. That will totally help him learn to wake himself up at night to pee. (Note the slathered sarcasm)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I agree with the above. Also, if you need to you can get waterproof sheets for bed-wetting for his bed. This will protect his mattress.

If he wets the bed often I'd also see if he'll wear Goodnites to bed. http://www.goodnites.com/na/Bedwetting-Products/Offers/Free-Samples.aspx

My son wet the bed until he was 9, he was really big for his age so he needed to wear adult diapers or he'd flood the bed. He's 12 now and hasn't wet the bed now in 3 yrs.

Here's some links about waterproof sheets -

http://www.articlealley.com/article_953180_40.html

http://www.amazon.com/Protect-Bed-Waterproof-Protector-Extra-Long/dp/B000UH4VVM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1291987114&sr=1-8

Anonymous5

Answer by Anonymous5 at 8:29 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• You should not punish a child for something he doesn't control that well yet, he did not do it on purpose!

Answer by older at 8:30 AM on Dec. 10, 2010