How often do children get headaches?

This morning while getting my daughter ready for school she claimed that her head hurt her. Even went so far as to hold her head and cry. Concerned I decided to call the school and tell them that she wouldn't be coming in. When I told her this she waited a few minutes, and when I told her I was going to call the doctor she "got" better. Now I'm thinking she might have been faking the whole thing just to get out of school, but I'm also concerned. What if she really did have a headache and it went away? It's too late to take her on to school (her school has a no tardy policy, either your there or your not).
So, even though I am thinking my little girl played me to play hooky from school, it got me thinking. How often do kids get headaches?

momnstepmom

Asked by momnstepmom at 8:43 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I've had migraines since I was 4. 2 of my children suffer headaches about once a week, they generally lay down and take a nap when they have one (of their own accord), they do not magically disappear.

Sinus problems, back problems, vision, diet, lack of sleep, stress, and neurological problems all cause headaches.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:23 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• You might want to ask her teacher if everything is OK at school too just to see if something is going on there.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:28 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• when i was around age 7 i had bad headaches..we found out i needed glasses. I would get bad migraines when being around bright florecent lighting... always at school when the teacher would shut out the lights for the overhead...if i played nintendo. i really needed glasses. i would say have her eyes checked
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:49 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I've done that, she has perfect sight, the eye doctor says that her eyes look wonderful (I have eye disease that runs in my side of the family so I have my children see a professional when it comes to their eyes)
    momnstepmom

Comment by momnstepmom (original poster) at 8:57 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• headaches can also be caused by sinus problems, or if they are starting to get sick. if you can rule out those things i'd say she was faking lol. when my son's sinuses are acting up he coughs from the post-nasal drip and his breath smells terrible. claritin works well to clear it up for him (if that is what the problem is). i would say since it cleared up mysteriously after you said she was going to the dr. that she was faking, but since she isn't going to school anyway today maybe you could take her to the dr. to get her sinuses checked out.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:19 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• My DD also has headaches and the Dr. said its okay as long as it isn't a everyday thing he told me just to give her tylonol. That does the trick!!
    2prettylittle1s

Answer by 2prettylittle1s at 10:16 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• It does sounds like she played you a bit. My DD recently had a major headache. It turned out her sinuses were completely "full of crap" as the doctor so delicately put it! If the headache is in the front of the head, it could well be sinuses, even without a runny nose (hers were so stuffed, she couldn't drip). And be aware that a sudden headache combined with neck pain could be a sign of meningitis.
    SaraBeth1204

Answer by SaraBeth1204 at 1:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• she is still complaining of her head hurting her, it's now almost 6 here, that means she's been complaining all day. I'm going to give her some tylonol to see if that helps.
    As to stress, last night my step-kids step-dad tried to cause a confrontation with my husband, to see full story read my journal "OMG" and "OMG update" and all night she was worried that this man would come back and hurt her daddy.
    momnstepmom

Comment by momnstepmom (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Found out today that she has strep. Doctor said that if she still had a headache come Monday then to bring her back and they'll do a blood test to see what else could be wrong since out of the other tests the strep test was the only one that came back positive.
    momnstepmom

Comment by momnstepmom (original poster) at 7:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2010