How do I know if my child is on the autism spectrum?

She has sensory disfunction and occupational disoder and I was told that she may be autistic, by my neighbor's nanny who take care of her son with autism. I am dumb to these kind of things and don't understand. My daughter has meltdowns. A professional told me that she was not ADHD like we thought that she just don't know how to slow down and focus. She is very active for a 5 year old child and this has effcted her eating ability. After our inpatient feeing theropy we come home and the school won't help us out with her menu or prodical that we were put on. Will someone please help me understand autism so I may know if she is on the spetrum. Should I put her in specail ed? What kind of test should I make the doctors do to check?

Weeliz

Asked by Weeliz at 8:44 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Health

• Okay - if you need help from the schools and she has a diagnosis of sensory dysfunction and OD, then you should get an IEP for her which will require the school to work with you. There isn't a quick test that the dr can do to check for autism. It needs to be a comprehensive developmental evaluation. You can ask your dr or the school system where to go. Generally after age 3, the school system is the one that would do the eval. Based on the eval, the school will give recommendations on whether special education is warranted or not.

Answer by missanc at 9:06 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• What is IEP?
    Weeliz

Comment by Weeliz (original poster) at 9:29 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• There are some autism groups here, you should join for some support and answers.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:01 AM on Dec. 12, 2010