moving into a new place and the fridge stinks

it doesnt smell like food or anything, I can't describe it, it just a horrible smell that penetrates anything in the fridge. I've tried baking soda. I've tried bleach. Can anyone help me find a way to save the fridge and my daughter and I's food??

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 8:47 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Vanilla extract. Yeah my freezer after Katrina was GROSS because we left down....i tried newspaper, baking soad, charcoal, bleach and the only thing that got the smell out was wiping the inside down with vanilla.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 10:14 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Have you cleaned the rubber/magnetic seals?? Everyone scrubs down the inside of the fridge and freezer but the forget the seal.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:17 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Having to clean a refrigerator after the power being off for 3 weeks after Katrina, charcoal works but you have to clean it with bleach real well then leave the charcoal in it for a couple of days.
    cnm5381no2

Answer by cnm5381no2 at 8:51 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Have you tried using Mr.Clean with Frebreeze cleaners. They really are awsome. I had to drinch the inside with a whole bottle with nothing in the frige and let it sit for almost a whole day. Then I cleaned it with another bottle. Left it open for a few hours while the frige dried. It got rid of the smell. Also look and see if there are any punctures in your wall lining because liquids can get in them and ruin a frige.
    Weeliz

Answer by Weeliz at 8:53 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• oxy cleaner
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:11 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• i would clean it real good (obviously you've done that already lol), then get a big bag of baking soda from costco (they have it in sacks!) and then put bowls and plates filled with baking soda on every shelf and drawer. then close it for at least 2 or 3 days. you can also do the same thing with coffee or charcoal, but i've only done it with the baking soda. it really does work, but honestly i think you'll have to wait a couple of days no matter what you try.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:12 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• You can try wiping it down with vinegar and then leaving saucers filled with vinegar in all the drawers and shelves and leave the door closed for a couple of days.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 10:09 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• thank you everyone!!!
    gottalovemal

Comment by gottalovemal (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Dec. 10, 2010