I recently moves in with one of my sons, He has a 4 year old male cat and I a 3 year old female. We just got the male fixed yet an hour after he was home from Vet he immediatly started trying to mate with my female. He is worse then before he was fixed. How long will this last or will it ever end?

I have seen so many answeres to other similar questions some saying that males dont want to mate after being fixed others saying that it doesnt end because the male is fixed. what is the correct answer!! I am desperate and tired ..being unable to sleep due to his constant trying to get at her,  howling and scratching at my bedroom door or herhowling with him trying to mate with her.

Wanting_Sleep

Asked by Wanting_Sleep at 8:54 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Pets

• A male cat will still try to mate with an unspayed female who is in heat. So if your female cat is not fixed, that's your answer--get her fixed. If she is fixed already, then I'm not sure why the male cat would still be trying to hump her. Just a horny fellow I guess.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:57 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Yeah, you got to fix the female too.

Answer by older at 8:58 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• it will stop but it takes awhile for it to click in and then he'll just get fat and lazy
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 8:59 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Instinct play a big role in that. Some male cats will continue to mate with a female in heat even if they are fixed. Some dogs will too. It also makes a huge difference if he is an adult. He had hormones flowing before the surgery & since he is already an adult, it will take some time for those hormones to regulate. Male kittens do not do this when they are fixed young, because they never get to the point where hormones make them want to mate. He may try to mate with her, but he won't get her pregnant. AND, after some time...his hormones will go away & may not ever do it again.

IMO, it is very inhumane to not fix yor pets. Unless someone is a breeder, they need to fix their pets upon adopting them. EVEN if they are indoor cats. If they slip outside, they can easily get pregnant or impregnate another cat. We really don't need any more ferrel cats running around...

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:01 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• My mom's male cats still hump the females, they even hump eachother sometimes. It's not a constant thing, but every now and then. They are all fixed and have been since they were kittens. The two males are 10 and 11. Just because you take away the parts doesn't mean you take away the urge. We had a female that would go into mock heat three years after she was fixed.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:07 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• It's all about the hormones.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 9:14 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• we have 2 male dogs who are both fixed and they still hump each other like crazy....

I would do like the others said and get her fixed too... there is no harm in it and it could help
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 9:24 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• my fixed cat still has sex.
    ibebreezy

Answer by ibebreezy at 9:57 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• If he was just fixed it will take a few weeks for the hormones to settle down. If she is in heat then he is probably acting on instinct. Just because animal is neutered does not mean that they can't mate it just means they can't reproduse. Though that drive does deminish in time. It could also be a dominance act. If the female has not been fixed I would have it done asap that should help.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:22 AM on Dec. 10, 2010