Should people be limited to one job?

Stop laughing and think about it a sec - quite often, when someone gets on their high horse and starts ranting about how people are just "lazy" when they collect U/E, they feel compelled to include a story about how they're working 2 or 3 jobs, walking uphill, barefoot, in the snow, both ways to get to work. It seems rather hypocritical for someone to hog 3 different jobs and then turn around and yell at someone for not having a job when there are 2 fewer jobs to go around, thanks to the hypocrite doing the screaming.

And really, the people who whine the loudest about U/E are obviously not concerned about the well-being of the people they're yelling at. Any idiot can figure out that if someone drops their U/E to take a min wage job, they will start receiving Medicaid, daycare assistance, possibly section 8 housing, and even food stamps, depending where they live. Or, they'll be denied some or all those services and just go without eating so their kids can eat once a day. They aren't interested in these people being able to do better off U/E when it's obvious getting off U/E will just put them directly on PA.

With all that in mind, isn't it only fair then, that those who insist people are just being "lazy" and should "get off their ass and get a job" should be required to live the same way they expect others to live? If they expect others to give up U/E and survive on $8/hr, shouldn't they, too, be required to give up their 2nd (and 3rd) job, so that someone else can get off of U/E?

And if the argument is that they can't afford to get by on only one job, why the hell do they think someone else can?

And of course, keep in mind, this must all be multiplied by 15 million - there are 15 million people looking for work that pays enough to pay their basic cost of living expenses. That's why the whole "suck it up and move" thing is rather ignorant. Where exactly in the country are people supposed to move to that has 15 million jobs just waiting for someone to take them? And how are they supposed to pay for the move when nobody is buying houses? If they're struggling to pay their rent or mortgage, how do they scrape up the money for the Motel 6 in the new town? Is WalMart paying relocation expenses now? (nevermind that WalMart actually let people go this year and downsized, so chances are they aren't hiring anyway)

Support a one job only restriction? Or perhaps just a quit proving how little you know restriction?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:14 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Stupid argument....how about we boot all the illegal aliens working over here?

If a person is compelled to have 2 or 3 jobs, then have at it. This is America and you can be or do what you wish.

You sound bitter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Great Post!

BUMP!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:19 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• – collapse
    Exactly what I think NotPanicking.

So those people who hog three $8.00 an hour jobs are really making $24.00 an hour! Who gets that kind of money these days?

And they expect people to be happy for them? NOT! I think it is greedy and it causes the employers to low ball pay because they KNOW people will do this.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 9:19 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• I think that if someone wants to work more than 1 job and doesnt complain ...then that is great...

But you are soo right !
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 9:20 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• She is trying to make a point anon & you did not get it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:20 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Usually when people say they are working 2 or 3 jobs, I assume they mean low paying part time jobs, that they had to string together to create a full time working situation. So no, I don't think they should be limited to 1 part time position.

I don't see how there would be enough time in a week to have multiple full time jobs.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 9:21 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I work 1 job and clean an office on the wkends. It sucks but its my right to work as much as I want. The solution is to stop overtaxing business owners so they will keep jobs in the US. The more we take money from the business owners and weigh them down with other huge bills instead of incentives the more jobs we lose to other countries. The lack of jobs has nothing to do with people working 2 jobs.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:23 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• No no....I get the point. And I feel its stupid. We are suppose to penalize people who WANT to get up and work. So stupid. It wouldnt work anyways. Yes there are people out there truly looking for a job. But there are millions of others sitting on their behind, happy they "cant" find a job. If this were to occur, employers would be short on workers. There are jobs out there, but you might have to move, or get a job you might not like or even hate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

I know that's exactly what they mean, but they expect someone ELSE to survive on just one of those jobs. If that's such a cinch, why can't they do it?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:23 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• U/E is the main form of assistance I agree with- it usually prevents the need for other types of assistance. It has limits and counseling and job search coaching. I wish other forms of assistance was as focused on self-sufficiency as U/E. I find that other forms tend to be a trap and do not offer the other programs needed for people to understand and attain self-sufficiency that the U/E program (at least in our area) does. As far as multiple jobs, not sure I agree on that. 2nd and 3rd jobs are usually not the type of job that would lead anyone to being self-sufficient- they are usually what we refer to as "odd jobs" that bring in a little extra income- JMO
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:24 AM on Dec. 10, 2010