how do i get her to stop?

my 5 yr old basically refuses to go to the bathroom. if you ask her if she has to go to the bathroom she says no then 2 min. later she goes in her pants. if you take her and sit her on the tolite she will wait until she gets off to go in her pants. she will go maybe once or twice a wk if im lucky. idk what to do anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Nov. 7, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is she is school yet? I would say that maybe she is just too busy for pottying. It's probably a phase.. but I would ask the Dr. just to make sure. Can you maybe make it a game? Set a timer, tell her she must go when the timer goes off.. give her a little reward.. just something to encourage her.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:47 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• my kids are homeschooled. i made an appointment for next thursday thats the earliest i could get her in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Take her and make her go. Anytime we leave for anywhere I have to tell our 5 year old to go. We get moaning and whining about how he doesn't have to go as he pouts his way into the bathroom and miraculously the kid who didn't have to go goes. Other times he'll stand around holding himself and I'll say, "Think before you answer. Do you have to go?" Now he says yes and dashes for the bathroom but for months it was, "No" and then I'd ask, "Are you sure?" and then he'd think about it and decide otherwise. If she keeps saying no, then just ask her if she has to, ask her if she's sure, and if she still says no and you believe otherwise, take her and make her sit there for 5 - 10 mins till she goes. (Unless there's another issues involved - i.e. new sibling.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• shes been doing this since she was about 3 so i know it isnt the baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• You could try doing what you've been doing but then running her tap under cold/warm water while she's on the toilet, or just dipping it in if your sink is not near your toilet. Also you could put her feet in warm water whilst she's on the toilet, it makes them go basically if they really need it but are refusing, and gradually they just learn to go. Okay, it sounds really unorthodox but that's what we did with our 4 year old.
    Anonymous

• i'm about to start doing a point reward system bc my 5 yr old wets the bed and when we potty trained him at 3 we didn't have any problems at all, then we moved out of state away from family and he started bed wetting, i got it under control, for awhile and then my father in law passed away suddenly and the bed wetting started again and so far nothing is working, i got him up before i went to bed, i cut off liquids at certain time, and i make him pee about 10 times in 2 hours every night before bed,
    momof2andloveit

Answer by momof2andloveit at 6:22 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• cont...anyways the way our point system would work, is if he wakes up dry he'll get 2 points and if he pees in the bed i'll take away 1 and then when he gets to 10 or 20 i haven't decided yet he'll get to pick a reward, you could do something similar, everytime she uses the potty she gets a point, maybe 1 for peeing and 2 for pooping and when she gets to a certain # she gets to choose an activity for school or something, idk hope this helps, good luck!
    momof2andloveit

• My daughter had the same problem, She is now 7. The thing I did was reward her give her a quarter or something that would make her happy everytime she goes on the potty or goes so long without wetting her pants. This is what my husband and i tried and we were very successfull she was trained within 2 wks after that
    wlmead

Answer by wlmead at 4:08 PM on Nov. 13, 2008