Is this a fair pay, would you still do it ?

I have been babysitting 2 little boys ( ages 1 and 2 ) from 3pm to 8 pm ( well really it is usually 2:30 - 9 because they drop them off early and pick them up late) .... well I was getting $20 a day for that - that was for both boys, to feed them dinner and a snack, and bath them ... I thought that was a good price and since at the time my husband lost his job I was pleased that I could make that and still be home with my own kids...

Yesterday when she picked them up she told me in Jan. that I am only going to be watching the 1 year old ( the 2 year old is going into day care) and I will only be getting $10 ... BUT I will be watching him from 6:30am to 5pm .... that includes all three meals ( we eat at 5... and since she never actually picks them up on time I assume it will still be 5:30 or 6 before she actually gets here) and atleast 1 bath becuase he is a very messy baby ( lol - when he eats we usually all get covered in whatever is going into his mouth) ... and I understand since I am only watching 1 kid instead of 2, and that is half the price ... but since I am watching him more hours I think I should atleast get $15 for the day ....

I also watch a little boy who has down syndrome and his mom ( who makes alot less money that the 2boys mom) pays me $5/hour - which I think is wonderful ( $40 for a full day ) .....

My husband has his job back now...and said that watching the baby isnt worth the stress ( he is always sick and she still sends him when he is puking, coughing, and running a fever which in turn makes me and my kids sick and this happens atleast once a month) ...and that I should just tell her I cant watch him anymore after she finds another sitter.... But part of me feels bad doing that because technically she is family ( she just married my cousin) and I think it would be awkward seeing them all the time ( we have alot of family get-togethers) ... But on the other hand I know that I treat him well ( she doesnt hold him alot because she actually said it will make him "weak") and I love taking care of him and therefore i would miss him alot.... plus even though it is a little bit of money ( I would actually gain less than $10 because I have to buy the extra food and such)

What would you do... I am really torn on what to do

2lilbumblebees

Asked by 2lilbumblebees at 9:41 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• ** I meant to continue that with ...... even though that is a little bit of money, it is still money that i can use..
    2lilbumblebees

Comment by 2lilbumblebees (original poster) at 9:43 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• It was a pretty decent deal, largely because (as you said) you could still be at home with your own kids.

But for this new situation? I'd tell her $5 an hour, like the other child you watch, or no deal.
    ihatetocook

Answer by ihatetocook at 9:44 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• well you could tell her $10 and she has to bring food for him or give you extra money for food. see what she says to that.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:45 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• She won't find anyone else to watch him for anywhere close to that amount. Instead of telling her you can't do it, I would tell her that I would be charging X amount of $$. (I think $5/hr is more than fair. But you were watching 2 boys for 5 hours, now you'll be watching 1 boy for 10 hours. The same rate, $20 would make perfect sense) Then it's her decision whether she wants to take him somewhere else, or pay you more to do the job.

Answer by missanc at 9:47 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• $10! Even $20! I pay my sitter $10 an hour! And she doesn't have to do a THING except watch TV and be there in case they wake up.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 9:47 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I would say 10 if she provides all meals, or stick with 20 and you will continue to provide the meals. Sounds like she is taking advantage of you.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 9:48 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I do actually believe that since we are now family she is taking advantage of me a little.... I use to watch them last year for $30/day ..... and then i had a cancer scare and I stopped watching them for awhile ( I was a mess ) ..... and then I started watching them right after they got married again and it was for only $20 ... and the days that I cant watch them her grandma does for $25

She always kinds of tells me she doesnt have that much money or she is hard up for cash or something... but I am very close to my aunt ( her MIL ) ...and I KNOW she and my cousin make GOOOOD money...( they both have $20-something/hour jobs) ...so I dont think it is that she doesnt have it.....
    2lilbumblebees

Comment by 2lilbumblebees (original poster) at 9:52 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• $10.00 for a full day is not enough, You should be getting more like $50.0 a day. If you really love taking care of him you might want to talk with her and see if she would give you money for food. One thing I will say is if you don't get it settled up front then you won't get the money later. I would also say you need to have a contract. Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:54 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I agree, 10$ and providing meals isn't fair. I would give her your form of a fair price. You probably pay ten dollars just for 3 meals and snacks, not including the babysitting.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:54 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I really think that is a joke. More hours less pay? NOT.. Have a conversation. If you really think $20 per day is fair then tell her that, but in all honesty I was watching kids 20 years ago for that. The parents were providing food. So I would say that you need to go up a bit. Just have a conversation. Talk to her, don't let her tell you what she is going to pay you. Think and make a deal about what you think is fair.
    Don't let her take advantage of you. You need to stand up for your self.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 3:21 PM on Dec. 10, 2010