Have you moved with large fish?

We're moving from Va to Oh (9 hour drive) in a few months and I'm worried about (of all things) my fish. I have a Jack Dempsey and an Oscar. The Oscar is almost 10 in long and puts up a hell of a fight. DH worked at a pet store in HS and knows to sedate fish for a long trip, but he said there's probably a 50/50 chance they'll survive.. Does anyone have actual experience moving with their fish and what to expect?

Winter1derland

Asked by Winter1derland at 9:45 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Pets

• I have moved with large and small fish and never sedated them, that can cause more harm. I just stuck the large fish in individual buckets and had air stones in each one so that they would have a healthy supply of oxygon. I have friends who have also moved their large oscars and jack dempseys this way and never lost a fish. Since they will be in the car as long as the temps don't drop dangerously low you don't need to provide a heater, just the air stones (don't forget lids to the buckets since they can and will jump out.)
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 9:51 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• well we moved from wa to ok with not only fish but about 15 other reptiles, dogs, cats, and kids lol. we had to get rid of a few fish that just werent strong enough to make the trip. everything that we did bring survived. thank goodness for the pet store working hubbys huh. there really is nothing special that you can do, its basically all chance. good luck
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 9:52 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• we also didnt have cool fish like oscars though, ive never had one so im not sure if there is anything special you can do for them.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 9:54 AM on Dec. 10, 2010