My son got into food dye for cake icing!@#$$ How do I get it off the kids, and the stain off of my kitchen counter!!!

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 10:31 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Home & Garden

• mr clean magic eraser works on my cabinets. Try that cause they really do work. Keep me informed if works on yours.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 10:32 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I'm not sure about how to get it off the kids, lol, but I've found that Mr. Clean Magic Erasers (especially the extra strength", work wonders! I've gotten stains off of things that NOTHING else would get off.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:33 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Baking soda and a sponge to get it off the counters, baby wipes for off of your kids. Baking soda will work on the kids too but it's a bit abrasive. I use it on my hand when I have dyed stuff not using gloves.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:35 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Oh boy. I haven't experienced straight food dye, but I have WHITE kitchen counters (which is just awful) and every time anyone spills anything colored on it--juice, or the liquid from black beans for example--it makes a stain. I use SoftScrub with bleach. I make a pasty mixture, apply it to the spots, and let it sit for a couple of minutes, then wipe it up. So far it's gotten everything off, but I'm sure now that I've said that, someone will dump a gallon of something on there that will never come off.
    Good luck.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:37 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• be careful with abrasives (even vinegar) on certain countertops---especially granite. I don't have a good idea, unless you can use bleach. With the kids, I found that a few soap and warm water washings will help.
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 10:38 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Try mayonnaise I know it sounds odd but the oils can break down the dye itworked on my floor
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 10:41 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Thanks ladies! I'll try anything at this point. This wasn't regular food coloring either. My kids are hot pink.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• The neon McCormick's stuff?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:46 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Noooo, it came from a professional cake decorating kit my mom gave me for christmas. They are in little jars with a screw lid on them.The color is thick, like a gel. I didn't think anything of it! Just threw them in the cabinet with the rest of the food! :P
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Oh like the Wilton's gels but in a neon color.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:51 AM on Dec. 10, 2010